Home > Resistance > Dealing with Analysis Paralysis.

Dealing with Analysis Paralysis.

Hi all,

I am new to the sales game and I need some suggestions on how to deal with this situation. A few weeks ago I did a presentation for an existing customer of an upgrade to a product they currently have with us. The presentation went great and when I showed some numbers to the main decision maker he didn't really even flinch. Following the presentation I gave this customer a couple of weeks to "kick the tires" and they loved it. I honestly thought this deal was going to close at the end of last month or beginning of this month.

Fast forward to about a week after the presentation, I received an email from an individual at this company letting me know he has been assigned the task of reviewing "all" of the firm's business with my company and to make a recommendation on whether to move forward with this purchase. I have met with him twice and provided him with multiple spreadsheets and showed him that they are currently getting a great deal and that this improvement will even help their business more.

What I have figured out through the course my interactions with this individual is that the company is grooming him to take the reins down the road as the main decision maker and as a first task he has been asked him to review all of their current costs. So as a result of this he is over analyzing what his company spends with us. The fact of the matter is that they really aren't spending that much with us compared to comparable customers. And what they would need to spend to upgrade to this new and improved version of our product is really almost nothing compared to the benefits. He would actually look like more of a heroe if he rolled this new version out to his company. Any suggestions on how to push this guy along without ticking him off would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! - by kenpo1980
The man's agenda is not the same as company's agenda as represented by the original people you met with. Selling is finding out what people want and helping them to get it. What does HE want? If he is the proxy decision maker now, it's what HE wants.

Ask him. That is called an Intrinsic Question. Find a form that works for you which asks "What do you want to accomplish and how can I help you accomplish it?" That's square one. Right now you're working on the original people's board as if he were merely a fly in the ointment.

Also if he is the heir apparent, strive to be his resource and champion. It will pay for some, and you should be among them.

And drop the metaphor , "analysis paralysis." It is not indicative of the situation. - by Gary A Boye
Yes, Gary is correct. Since you're dealing with a new person, you must find out what his goals are and what you can do about it. - by Faizalnisar
I agree as well that you need to have an upfront and honest conversation with this new person. To do so, you want to be professional and polite, while at the same being assertive. If he is giving you resistance, call him on it. For example, if he pushes back on price, ask him what price he was looking for, instead of getting flustered and defending your proposal - which is what many sales reps do.

Most important, when you are dealing with someone where you think you know what their objective is, (but you're not 100% sure) just be honest. Certain phrases work really well...."And that's important because..." or "which means"...these are key phrases that allow you to really get to the bottom of a person's intent. In the meantime, you are gathering critical information to solve the customer's problem and close the sale! - by CoachMaria
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.