Home > Personal Development > Newbie Starting to Panic and Needs Advice

Newbie Starting to Panic and Needs Advice

This is my second post to the forum and I really would like some words of encouragement, advice or suggestions.

To make a long story short I have been with my present company almost 15 years and I moved from account management to straight sales about year ago. After being a trainee for a year I recently took over a territory two months ago that was occupied by a highly successful rep for almost thirty years.

Anyway, my first two months in the territory I did pretty well. My first month I exceeded my one month quota the first week and last month I didn't completely kill it but I more that exceeded my quota. Well, as we enter mid September I am really struggling to close anything let alone get appointments and I am starting to panic.

If I try to set aside the panic the logic part of me says that I really just need to let go of worrying about my numbers for the time being and just focus on really coming up with a long term prospecting plan. I also believe that I have a territory in which it will probably take me awhile to get my name out and that business will come later but at the same time I need to support my family and make sure that my manager doesn't feel he made a mistake in promoting me. Any suggestion on how to approach this or any other similar experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! - by kenpo1980
What is your current prospecting plan? What criteria did you use when constructing that plan?

In what phase(s) of the buyer's decision process do you find yourself struggling? - by Jeff Blackwell
My current prospecting plan involves setting appointments with current customers to show them the latest version of our flagship product.

I find the first wall in I hit in setting the appointment is that my prospects invariably know what I am pitching will cost more so before I can even get to probing or setting up a demo I am immediately shut down. My guess is that I probably need a pitch that gets beyond the fact that it cost more.

And this is no knock on the previous rep but he was an extremely aggressive old school sales guy and I think as a result a lot of my customers are afraid I am going to come in and get them to spend a lot more because he very good at doing that.

Once I actually do a demonstration I would say 90% of the time the customer loves the product and sees the benefit of upgrading but invariably they want to do a free trial and/or they need to discuss it with their associates.

In most instances I don't really receive any objections but my prospects always seem to feel they need to sleep on it or drag it out so what really should be a no-brainer becomes a long drawn out process. Perhaps I am somehow getting in my own way. - by kenpo1980
My current prospecting plan involves setting appointments with current customers to show them the latest version of our flagship product.
Which criteria did you use when constructing that plan? What were the options you eliminated?

I find the first wall in I hit in setting the appointment is that my prospects invariably know what I am pitching will cost more so before I can even get to probing or setting up a demo I am immediately shut down. My guess is that I probably need a pitch that gets beyond the fact that it cost more.
First, what does "pitching" mean to you? Second, are you getting an opportunity to speak with the prospect? Third, what are you bringing to the prospect's attention that he/she believes warrants further thought (i.e.; Tell me more)? What prompted you to go that route?

In most instances I don't really receive any objections but my prospects always seem to feel they need to sleep on it or drag it out so what really should be a no-brainer becomes a long drawn out process. Perhaps I am somehow getting in my own way.
Which part of the decision to change do you feel should be a no-brainer for the prospect? - by Jeff Blackwell
Re-frame your approach by answering these 3 questions:
1. why you
2. who cares
3. so what

Follow this golden rule: get information before you give it. - by AlenMajer
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.