Home > Consumer Behavior > Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

In your opinion what value, if any, can we as sales practitioners extract from Maslow's 1970's adapted Hierarchy of Needs Model, including Cognitive and Aesthetic needs?

1. Biological and Physiological needs - air, food, drink, shelter, warmth, sex, sleep, etc.
  2. Safety needs - protection from elements, security, order, law, limits, stability, etc.
  3. Belongingness and Love needs - work group, family, affection, relationships, etc.
  4. Esteem needs - self-esteem, achievement, mastery, independence, status, dominance, prestige, managerial responsibility, etc.
  5. Cognitive needs - knowledge, meaning, etc.
  6. Aesthetic needs - appreciation and search for beauty, balance, form, etc.
  7. Self-Actualization needs - realising personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences.
- by Community Mailbox
As a sales practitioner I believe it would be more of a distraction than an extraction. - by Gary A Boye
In your opinion what value, if any, can we as sales practitioners extract from Maslow's 1970's adapted Hierarchy of Needs Model, including Cognitive and Aesthetic needs?
The Misnomer of Needs

First, biological requirements are designed to keep the body alive. They are needs if that entity chooses to remain viable therefore, these are not needs but wants and desires freely chosen as contingencies. (Suicides)

Secondly, studies have shown that on the mental level, only the need for self-actualization is a true need. That is, the need to self-express is a verification and validation of our mental existence as an individual entity. It is the necessary anchor and motivation for all other forms of behavior and contingencies.

Nevertheless, these faculties occur at once rather than as a hierarchical apparatus where one precedes another.

After one chooses to live, the rest are not necessary for survival and therefore not needed.

For example;

1 a criminal abhors law and order.
2 early pioneers slept in the prairie without shelter
3 mountain climbers thrill in the danger of the nebulous design of their security and stability the journey offers.
4 thrill seekers are always pushing the envelope of human limitations.
5 for centuries the only love was for children and they were still sacrificed.

It appears that time in history, place and legal perspective, has more to do with what is and is not a need than the essential condition of humanity.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs Model is only marginally mentioned in current studies as a footnote to the history of psychology. Therefore, I agree with Gary that they are only distractions.

They are void as a predictive sales tool of behavior. - by John Voris
I do not entirely agree with John and Gary but first seek clarification of the question. Is the question how do we use The hierarchy in aiding us to sell or how the hierarchy assist us in being better sales professionals?

On a personal level I have the hierarchy in mind when I am setting my own goals.

It can depend what you are selling also. Currently I am involved in B2B sales and my product is largely service driven so the hierarchy is difficult to apply. In a former life I aws engaged in consumer sales of investment products. An understanding of where your customer is in the hierarchy certainly does not damage your chances of making a sale in this context as you are better able to connect needs and wants.

Just my thoughts but a knowledge of Maslow has never hurt me. - by Mike Cooper
“I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves”
(Bobby Fischer)

Somehow this thread reminded me of that. - by Gary A Boye
I do not entirely agree with John and Gary but first seek clarification of the question. Is the question how do we use The hierarchy in aiding us to sell or how the hierarchy assist us in being better sales professionals?

On a personal level I have the hierarchy in mind when I am setting my own goals.

It can depend what you are selling also. Currently I am involved in B2B sales and my product is largely service driven so the hierarchy is difficult to apply. In a former life I aws engaged in consumer sales of investment products. An understanding of where your customer is in the hierarchy certainly does not damage your chances of making a sale in this context as you are better able to connect needs and wants.

Just my thoughts but a knowledge of Maslow has never hurt me.
I appreceiate you attempting to breathe life back into Maslow but I must ask: how can you understand where your customer is in the hierarchy, when it does not exist as Maslow presented it, and anyone can move through all "stages" in one sentence?

Also, survival here is not the same as in 3rd world countries. If this is to be a universal hierarchy then it must be universal.

Now, if it is a placebo for you then by all means I support you.
sn; - by John Voris
“I don't believe in psychology. I believe in good moves”
(Bobby Fischer)

Somehow this thread reminded me of that.
Yes, regardless of how we get there or how we think we get there or how someone else tells us how we got there---getting there is everything and determines if we win or lose. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.