Home > Presentation > What's the #1 mistake sales reps make during the presentation?

What's the #1 mistake sales reps make during the presentation?

In your opinion, where do sales reps 'miss the mark' when delivering a sales presentation? - by CoachMaria
In your opinion, where do sales reps 'miss the mark' when delivering a sales presentation?
They ignore the single most important skill in selling: PREPARATION. - by Gary A Boye
I think the biggest mistake is not getting your prospects emotionally involved. Telling stories or getting the prospects engaged are great ways to bring out their emotions. People buy based on emotions. - by Faizalnisar
If I can quote the late, great Gary Halbert a legendary marketer. He once posed a question at a seminar he gave,
"If I was starting a hamburger stand what's the most important thing I need from a marketing perspective?"
He got a bunch of answers, to which he replied "No".
Finally, he gave his answer, "A hungry crowd!"

So, I think the biggest mistake salespeople make in their presentations is pitching to someone with no interest in what they are talking about and secondly they pay no attention when pitching to see if the prospect is "hungry" for what they offer.
Preparing well helps prevent pitching to the wrong person. It also helps if you confirm they are a potential client before you start presenting. - by Greg Woodley
"Not asking for the sale," would be my answer to this question. - by DanKhan
Talking to much! - by MPrince
Great responses here; thank you. As it relates to qualifying and preparing...I also believe that many sales reps are too quick to schedule demo's and presentations before truly qualifying by asking the hard questions. And in many cases, this is because their sales managers are pushing them to have "9 presentations or demos each week" for example. So the reps are pressured to have such presentations ...but ultimately the reps aren't being as productive with their sales because they didn't ask the tough qualifying ?'s up front and end up with a lower close %.

I always felt that I'd rather get the 'no' up front. At least I'm not wasting my time and can move on to the next!! - by CoachMaria
One of the biggest mistakes when the presentation is to a buying group is failing to make the presentation interactive throughout - instead the model that is used is "talk first" then at the end have a Q/A session. - by richard ruff
"Not asking for the sale," would be my answer to this question.
That's true, I've seen that happen. Some salespeople fear rejection, but asking for the sale opens so many more doors. - by Faizalnisar
They ignore the single most important skill in selling: PREPARATION.
Agreed.

I would also say that they 'miss the mark' by not listening to their prospect, assuming they know what they are after and not gaining enough clarity when discovering wants/needs of the prospect. - by MrCharisma
"Not asking for the sale," would be my answer to this question.
Your absoluty right - by jmassiatte
In your opinion, where do sales reps 'miss the mark' when delivering a sales presentation?
This can be approached by examinng the following

1. Is this presentation a positive experience for the prospect.
2. Does the prospect have time for the presentation
3.Does the prospect trust the salesperson
4. Does the prospect know and trust your company.

The above all have to be telegraphed and explained as part of the presentation. Item 1 should be established at the time the appointment is made, Item 2 should be establishe d when the sales person arrive for the sales interview. i.e. Whwn asked how long will this take say 15min. providing there are no questions to answer all your question fully and explain all the benefits of doing business with our company as long as 40min. Item 3 the prospect must trust YOU so back yourself up, be honest and open, enthusiatic and interested in the prospect. Ask about them a few simple no prying questions will help establish rapport. Item 4 is the prospect must trust your company so how long have you been in businees, your clients, examples of your work and two testimonials with access to others if you are asked. At this stage you should have their attention so do your pitch and don't try to close to soon. Also be aware that you have to pace the presentation some people liked to be closed fast whilst other are a little slower or cooler.

John Hewitt
Sydney Australia - by SalesSecretsRevealed
Hello!

It's my experience that many reps don't truly listen to the client. It's important to plan to listen.

In the sales professional overall, it seems the emphasis is on making a sale. The emphasis is best centered around serving the customer's problem.

More training should go into using your product or service to solve problems, not just learning how to sell it to everybody.-MM - by magicman
Coming from one who recently went through a presentation brown-out, I wholeheartedly agree: Preparation. - by Ima Caller
They ignore the single most important skill in selling: PREPARATION.
Completely agree........I also emphasise ASSUMPTION is the mother of failure. - by Tony Pizii
They indulge in monologue, rather than dialog.

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.