Home > Closing > Closing when you ought not to...

Closing when you ought not to...

How do you close a deal, when social circumstances disallow a formal sales process and/or close?

There are quite a few (business) cultures where the approach to selling is very indirect.

So: how do we close, when closing itself is frowned upon? - by sgt_serge
How do you close a deal, when social circumstances disallow a formal sales process and/or close?

There are quite a few (business) cultures where the approach to selling is very indirect.
Interesting question.

Do you have a scenario or circumstance in mind? - by MrCharisma

So: how do we close, when closing itself is frowned upon?
Are you talking about how do you ask a closing question? Or how do you ask for the order? CLOSING is a progression of consent which takes place during a sales situation--not an event which happens after. If you are in a situation where a series of commitments cannot take place, you are merely conversing. That's not a bad thing. There is a time and place for everything. If, however, you have drawn interest to your product and service during social circumstances, then merely ask for a time appropriate for discussion. Once secured, leave it alone or you will hurt your chances. - by Gary A Boye
Ok, I'll give you a few examples:

Pharmaceutical Rep - Doctor. The Doctor prescribes the drug, the social insurance pays the bill. In most european countries there are very strict rules regarding the doctor - pharma relationship. Quite a lot of doctors appreciate being consulted by the pharma reps but feel insulted when asked to prescribe more of their drug. After all the patient is the focus not the drug.

Another situation is selling into a political organization. People like talking to the consultants but when it comes to commitment sometimes a very strange process takes place where it's near impossible to say who had the final say.

I've been working in a bank once, where this process was called "minimalizing responsibility": lots of people "feel each other out" before making any commitments to a decision. Because if you're caught supporting the losing side, things might get difficult in the future.

So if in these situations sales people get "pushy" in nearly all cases I saw they hurt their case.

So you've got the sales folks in a strange situation: s/he should increase sales but must not ask for it. So how do you close now? Or how do you ask for commitment? - by sgt_serge
Maybe focus on building great relationships with the people you're trying to sell to. From my experience, the more people like me, the more they're willing to help me out. So maybe if "ASKING" for the sale isn't acceptable, then try being more like a friend asking for help. If there's a great relationship in place, then it should work. - by Faizalnisar
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.