Home > Consumer Behavior > Is Your Prospect Buying What Your Selling?

Is Your Prospect Buying What Your Selling?

"What is most important for your prospect to make a buying decision?" (Is it cost, safety, value, reliability all of them or something else?)

Here is an example of that "something else" from one of my clients.

Roger and Janet, are a married couple who own a health equipment store. They are educated in how each product functions as well as how it impacts the body. They’ve studied how particular units produce improvement in muscle tone and strength building; they know which machines best improve cardiovascular performance, and how specific models target specific muscle groups. They are highly professional and eager to satisfy, matching each and every customer with the appropriate machine highlighting the features & benefits of each as they were taught.

They would approach a prospect with a litany of health related questions, focused on the specific needs of their customer. They considered the customer’s overall body condition, the difference between strengthening and toning muscles, the varying methods involved, dietary considerations, their life style, and so on.

One day, “Bob,” walked in the show room and simply wanted to know which model was the least expensive. After all, at age 40 and overweight, he had no aspirations of being a body builder.

Roger and Janet made many recommendations, matching Bob's "needs" with the many brands in their show room. However, rather then showing enthusiasm, Bob was rapidly exhibiting polite disinterest. It seemed that the more Roger & Janet offered Bob what he “needed”, the less interested he became. Like many others before him, "Bob"said he would go home and think about it, but Roger & Janet never saw him again. They covered the "benefits," "features, "cost," "value" and the rest. They also established rapport through their joke swapping and they focused on the low cost units. So what happened?

Coincidently, Bob and I have our offices in the same building and with bumping into each other he related this story to me.

Yes, my clients are there to sell health but Bob was there to buy a new sex life. That's right! A major divorce age range is 35-45 years old--the mid-life crisis--which should have caught their eye. Due to Roger and Janet's very straight and professional demeanor, he didn't feel comfortable bringing this up to either one.

After learning what many customers were actually buying, they began looking for recently divorced men and women who come in the shop. And, they brought up the topic. Roger attended to the men and Janet attended to the women.

Clients no longer feel embarrassed making my clients the preferred dealer in the area. Well, they increased their gross revenue by 23% within the first quarter and was forced to move into a larger building within 2 years. Now they sell what this group has been buying all along.

Are you selling what your prospects are there to buy? - by John Voris
Hi John. :)

The way I see it you can go after a Probable Want/Need or a Specific Want/Need. There is a time and a place for each.

At the beginning of your story it appears that the salespeople did not determine the prospects specific needs (i.e.; sex life). At the end of your story it appears that the salespeople are approaching a target market (recently divorced men and women) with a probable want/need (i.e.; sex life).

Someone once wrote, "Basically, this is what selling is all about - determining needs and skillfully relating your product's benefits to show how its purchase will fulfill customer's needs." - by Jeff Blackwell
Hi John. :)

The way I see it you can go after a Probable Want/Need or a Specific Want/Need. There is a time and a place for each.

At the beginning of your story it appears that the salespeople did not determine the prospects specific needs (i.e.; sex life). At the end of your story it appears that the salespeople are approaching a target market (recently divorced men and women) with a probable want/need (i.e.; sex life).

Someone once wrote, "Basically, this is what selling is all about - determining needs and skillfully relating your product's benefits to show how its purchase will fulfill customer's needs."
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the comment.

Clinton once remarked that he told the truth depending on what "is" is.

My thread is about the many levels of "need" and how our personality often determin