Home > Consumer Behavior > Emotional Purchase Triggers

Emotional Purchase Triggers

It's been a couple years.

I find myself curious about emotional triggers - those emotional needs which fuel the prospect's desire to own something or obtain information.

Examples:
Fear - I'm afraid, if I don't have this, something bad will happen.
Competition - I need to get ahead of the Jones'.
Belonging - I want to be part of the club.

Google has returned page after page of feeble web-design hawking books or thin lists of words. Only minimal success on this front as far as I'm concerned.

So here I am, back on SP. Any chance you could direct me to some solid resources to further research this topic?

Thanks. - by D.M055
Sense of Belonging. - by Gary A Boye
It's been a couple years.

I find myself curious about emotional triggers - those emotional needs which fuel the prospect's desire to own something or obtain information.

Examples:
Fear - I'm afraid, if I don't have this, something bad will happen.
Competition - I need to get ahead of the Jones'.
Belonging - I want to be part of the club.

Google has returned page after page of feeble web-design hawking books or thin lists of words. Only minimal success on this front as far as I'm concerned.

So here I am, back on SP. Any chance you could direct me to some solid resources to further research this topic?

Thanks.
Gary is "right on" with a sense of Being. No list of triggers will work because no two people have exactly the same triggers or causes for those triggers.

If a technique or theory of what motivates people is said to be universal, it better work in the Amazonian forest just as well as on Wall Street.

Everywhere people are focused on "Expression of Being."

We all have a life-long quest of sustaining our sense of Being Gary, Being John, Being Bob, Being Alice etc. We do this through buying "things" that conform to this sense of identity and adhering to "ideas" that also conform. The consistency is of Being. If there was not something consistent about you, how could you have meaningful relationships with anyone?

Also, emotions such as joy, anger and fear are temporary extensions of deeper feelings. How long can we laugh, yell at someone or feel anxiety?

A good way to look at this is through the relationship between child and parent. Parents get angry at their children (temporary emotion) but they are often angry out of loving (sustained feeling) them.

The "feeling" is the cause with "emotion" as the effect. So, ask yourself why does this prospect really display this emotion and find that hidden feeling.

I say this because very often sales people receive all the emotional signals that the prospect will buy, then they leave and you never see them again. This is because we are focused on the observable body and verbal language missing the deeper communication coming from that "sense of Being."
- by John Voris
Thanks, gents. Appreciate the feedback.

I understand the core need to be. What I'm looking for is more insight into the various, fleeting emotions which stem from this most basic of emotional needs.

These are the triggers. The angry parent is angry out of fear his child will be harmed. His sense of being a good parent dictates his reaction. By tailoring the message to his anger/fear, from a position of being a good parent, the prospect is more likely to be receptive and emotionally charged to make the purchase, as the product/service now aligns with his sense of being.

Any other thoughts on the emotions which contribute to this sense of being?

Fear - I'm afraid I won't be viewed the way I want.
Guilt - I'm not as good as I present myself to be.
Leadership - I'm a leader, so I must develop my leadership skills.

Anything along those lines?

Thanks again. - by D.M055
Thanks, gents. Appreciate the feedback.

I understand the core need to be. What I'm looking for is more insight into the various, fleeting emotions which stem from this most basic of emotional needs.

These are the triggers. The angry parent is angry out of fear his child will be harmed. His sense of being a good parent dictates his reaction. By tailoring the message to his anger/fear, from a position of being a good parent, the prospect is more likely to be receptive and emotionally charged to make the purchase, as the product/service now aligns with his sense of being.

Any other thoughts on the emotions which contribute to this sense of being?

Fear - I'm afraid I won't be viewed the way I want.
Guilt - I'm not as good as I present myself to be.
Leadership - I'm a leader, so I must develop my leadership skills.

Anything along those lines?

Thanks again.
Very good.

Notice that political movements successfully exploit children by incessantly asking for more money for education---and getting it.

Every politician says, "Education is my top priority." After decades of electing these people it should dawn on someone that this is a ploy for votes and only for votes. None of these people give a hoot about education or they would do something.

Every parent who wants to be a good parent must support schools. That's what the political pundits know.

When you align the "good parent" with a product or service, you are appealing to that state of Being.

Right again!

Fear is often the fear of losing "face" in front of others
Guilt is often I acted outside of who I am
Leaders don't have to develop anything. They are. Now, they can certainly improve though.

You grasp ideas quickly. thmbp2; - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.