Home > Interview > Communication Skills: Encoding and Decoding Messages

Communication Skills: Encoding and Decoding Messages

It has been suggested that "the ability to send meaningful messages and correctly interpret the messages being received" is a determining factor in a salesperson's success.

First, do you agree? Second, how do you know you have interpreted a message correctly? - by Community Mailbox
First, do you agree? Second, how do you know you have interpreted a message correctly?
I agree.

The answer to the second question is that with experience comes recognizable patterns. Some prospects, for instance, follow a recognizable pattern of fettering on a minor decision en route to actually buying. It's a way of simulating taking ownership without making a commitment. In turn, they are sending a false message that they are ready to buy, and if you relax the selling process it will often lead to no sale. - by Gary A Boye
I agree. I'm of the mindset that strong communication skills and strong selling skills are inextricably linked.

To answer the second question...experience plays a large part in being able to adequately interpret a message correctly. The more experience one has dealing with prospects and customers, the more skilled one becomes in understanding messages and communications while not making inaccurate assumptions. Over time, most sales professionals are also developing their questioning abilites to follow up on any communications that may not be 100% clear; thereby also increasing the chances of accurately interpreting messages as well. - by CoachMaria
It has been suggested that "the ability to send meaningful messages and correctly interpret the messages being received" is a determining factor in a salesperson's success.

First, do you agree? Second, how do you know you have interpreted a message correctly?
(1) Yes (2) Feedback - by Jeff Blackwell
I agree too, very strongly.

In answer to the second part of the question: Ask questions to test your understanding, eg ..

"So what you are saying ..."

"Am I correct in thinking that you ...." etc

Only by confirming our understanding can we avoid one of the curses of inexperienced sales professionals .... assumption.

Jonathan - by Jonathan Farrington

1) Yes
2) The client moves/takes the next action described/defined in my sales process... this means, closer to close the sale.

It isn't obvious?msnwnk;

Ramon - by salesconsciousness
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.