Home > Consumer Behavior > How has Internet Self-Diagnosis affected your sales practice?

How has Internet Self-Diagnosis affected your sales practice?

It seems that in some sales arenas (e.g.; real estate, insurance, etc.) more and more people are now turning first to the Internet to understand their "needs" and research "solutions" instead of the more traditional approach of seeking out a professional in that line of work.

Are you seeing a similar shift? How has Internet Self-Diagnosis affected your sales practice? - by Community Mailbox
It seems that in some sales arenas (e.g.; real estate, insurance, etc.) more and more people are now turning first to the Internet to understand their "needs" and research "solutions" instead of the more traditional approach of seeking out a professional in that line of work.

Are you seeing a similar shift? How has Internet Self-Diagnosis affected your sales practice?
I don't see it as a shift. It's just a variation of an age old theme.

People in search of "a solution" fill their cup with information from a variety of sources. When they enter our arena as sales prospects they have information that may have come from the Internet, from friends, neighbors, coworkers, magazines, newspaper consumer articles, AND OUR COMPETITORS WHICH ARE A PRIME SOURCE OF "KNOWLEDGE" THAT THEY WILL ARM THEMSELVES WITH WHILE ENGAGING YOU.

Information becomes knowledge BUT knowledge is not synonymous with truth.

Nothing has changed with regard to how I successfully deal with the knowledge a prospect brings to the table. I take them back to square one. One of the best ways I ever devised in doing so is with a simple statement/request:
"I'm going to show you ____________ as if you have never seen one before. Is that OK?"
Nobody has ever denied that request, and I have never failed to gain the position of primary knowledge source with a prospect by using that method or a modified version.

In selling, we always have to present OUR message. The fudamental rule for ALL presentations is : TELL 'EM WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO TELL 'EM. TELL IT TO 'EM. TELL 'EM WHAT YOU'VE TOLD 'EM. - by Gary A Boye
In my opinion, it appears that with the availability of such real estate related information as home listings, mortgage calculators, community maps, etc. via the Internet that more and more prospective home-buyers are taking matters into their own hands and accessing the Internet for this information prior to engaging a real estate agent.

Due to "Internet Self-Diagnosis" I would expect that prospective customers will be further in the decision making process when/if they do engage a salesperson.

This type of "shift" does not surprise me. Many people attempt to figure out and improve their situation on their own and/or with familiar resources. - by Jeff Blackwell
........what Gary said......AND.........

People who are inclined to research to a high degree are always happy to listen to you....if it sounds like you may know something newer, or more detailed, or more useful than whatever 'they've' found out.

It sounds like this.

Customer:
I've checked all this stuff out on the internet.

You:
Yeah? ....That's great......hmm.....apart from......(say nothing else here)

Customer:
Apart from what? (Of course they are curious....they LIKE researching.)

You:
Well....have you heard the latest?

N.B. DO NOT TRY THIS...unless you have something that actually IS the 'latest'. This'll force you to keep in touch with what's going on in your market......and it really IS a magic bullet in terms of establishing instant authority and credibility. - by helisell
Because we know they will research on the Internet, it's your responsibility to seed accurate information. You and I know so much of what they will find on-line isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Position yourself right and they can find you to start a conversation about a solution. Immediately take them from research to problem solving, because if they are just researching they aren't buying.

As Gary said, "It's just a variation of an age old theme." It doesn't matter where they are looking, that's just a start in the direction of buying if handled right.

Sincerely,

Justin - by hittjw
Hi,

Integrating an internet based sales support system into your sales process will place you at a great advantage.

Imagine you have managed to get your prospects and clients to become subscribers to your well-researched newsletters, which includes everything they need to know plus the latest info on the subject, case studies, free consulting sessions, etc.

They come to view your company as the authority on the subject, with openness to share info freely.

Suddenly, you'll will find a higher pedestal they place you on. They will be loyal and will be willing to pay a premium for your products and services, esp. since very few do this in the typical offline industry.

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.