Home > Interview > Effective Listening and Questioning Skills

Effective Listening and Questioning Skills

How would you describe "effective listening"? Would you include "listening openly and actively with the intent to understand" in your description?

How would you describe "questioning skills"? Would you include "knowing who, when, where in addition to how, why and what to ask for the purpose of receiving the response and/or information you seek as efficiently as possible" in your description? - by Community Mailbox
How would you describe "effective listening"? Would you include "listening openly and actively with the intent to understand" in your description?

How would you describe "questioning skills"? Would you include "knowing who, when, where in addition to how, why and what to ask for the purpose of receiving the response and/or information you seek as efficiently as possible" in your description?
I would describe EFFECTIVE LISTENING as LISTENING IN AN APPRECIATIVE MANNER. That, among other things, would encompass "listening openly and actively with the intent to understand."

Questioning skills is too broad a topic and would have to be addressed with reference to the types of questions and the stages where they are applicable. - by Gary A Boye
I would describe EFFECTIVE LISTENING as LISTENING IN AN APPRECIATIVE MANNER. That, among other things, would encompass "listening openly and actively with the intent to understand."

Questioning skills is too broad a topic and would have to be addressed with reference to the types of questions and the stages where they are applicable.

Absolutely agree 100%

I would add to the question phase , when to ask a question as important along with the above - by rich34232
"Effective Listening"

Effective - Successful in producing a desired or intended result.
Listening - To give close attention with the purpose of hearing; to give ear; to hearken; to attend.

If I was going to describe effective listening, it would be hearing what another is saying and if required would be able to repeat or summaries.

That has nothing to do with Reflective Listening which "is a communication strategy involving two key steps: seeking to understand a speaker's idea, then offering the idea back to the speaker". - by MrCharisma
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.