Home > Personal Selling > Selling to Unlikeable People

Selling to Unlikeable People

Ever had a customer that was just plain mean and insulting to you, or perhaps something about their personality rubs you the wrong way? Yet at the same time, that person may make some small purchases. But you doubt whether the frustration and heartache is worth the measly payback?

Since I work with personal finances, I have to get very involved with my customers and I have one family where the wife for some reason throws out personal digs towards me, and argues about the products etc. They have invested a little bit, but it's only pennies in my pocket at this point. I'm thinking about writing a follow up thank you letter in the hopes of generating wider business with them, but the other side of me is so not thankful.

For those of you who have been selling for a long time, is it worth the heartache to brown nose people and then have to go home and vent to your spouse? Is it better to just write these kind of people off and move on to greener pastures? How does the greatest sales person approach such a situation? - by La_pro
Ever had a customer that was just plain mean and insulting to you, or perhaps something about their personality rubs you the wrong way? Yet at the same time, that person may make some small purchases. But you doubt whether the frustration and heartache is worth the measly payback?

Since I work with personal finances, I have to get very involved with my customers and I have one family where the wife for some reason throws out personal digs towards me, and argues about the products etc. They have invested a little bit, but it's only pennies in my pocket at this point. I'm thinking about writing a follow up thank you letter in the hopes of generating wider business with them, but the other side of me is so not thankful.

For those of you who have been selling for a long time, is it worth the heartache to brown nose people and then have to go home and vent to your spouse? Is it better to just write these kind of people off and move on to greener pastures? How does the greatest sales person approach such a situation?
First, you get to choose how you spend and/or invest your Time, Attention and Energy. Choose wisely.

Second, building up frustration at work only to go home and vent on your spouse is a behavior I would strongly recommend you avoid. - by Jeff Blackwell
How does the greatest sales person approach such a situation?
In sales--as in life--it reaps rewards to not take unlikeable behavour personally. Top salespeople have learned to control what they can control and not worry about what they can't.

Also--displaced frustration is NOT a good thing and that habit can have a real negative impact on lives. - by Gary A Boye
I am like the rest here however we all vent to our wives and or friends. It is just something that happens. It is great that she listens and cares. I do not like to vent at home as she has her life and work to worry about and I am her rock or I like to think so. I am a lucky guy in that I have a wife that loves to work with special needs children and she has the patience to deal with the likes of me. Over the years it has shown me that my petty personal issues with clients, owner is not that important and not a big deal. When I need to make a decision she is the first one I turn to and listen.

Now to the problem client, risk and reward go hand in hand. Is the reward a reality or is it a pipedream. I am sure you already know the answer. We can name a few problem clients who ended up making large deals. We can also name quite a few problem clients who remain a problem client. It is your time and decision how to spend.
- by rich34232
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.