Home > Marketing > Humour in marketing letters a good idea?

Humour in marketing letters a good idea?

Do you think using humour in a B2B introduction letter targeting the senior decision maker of any sized organisation is a good or bad idea? I suppose it depends on whether the person reading it has a sense of humour and whether the piece is actually funny or not, but generally speaking do you think it's something that can capture interest and enhance receptivity, or can it undermine the salesperson and the product/service offering?

Thanks for your input. - by salesjunior
Do you think using humour in a B2B introduction letter targeting the senior decision maker of any sized organisation is a good or bad idea?
I don't think it could be labeled as a good OR bad idea.

I relate humor to comedy, and comedy is an art. I would say that if you can inflect something into a marketing approach that is both novel and amusing, and would create attention and curiosity, it would be worth trying. But it's a bad thing to try and be funny when you're not. It's the audience that ALWAYS decides what is funny and what is not--as many who have "bombed" have found out. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.