Home > Personal Selling > Starting car sales - where to begin?

Starting car sales - where to begin?

I have 4 year of experience in sales so essentially to speak to those who walk on the lot I just need product knowledge and an adaptation from my old sales to my new style of sales.

but -

Considering this, I'm on a new dealership meaning customers are very far and few apart, in 3 days I've seen 2 people walk on the lot and it was someone else who spoke with them.

Considering this -

What are some of the best steps to take from here?

P.S.

- I've already spoken with friends/family/acquaintances and co-workers and have a small list of people to bring in, I also asked them to ask their friends if anybody is in the market. - by DrPattyCakes
If you are not getting walk-in traffic you need to proactively FIND people who are in the market for an automobile. I suggest you obtain orphan files of past customers at this dealership. Call them and introduce yourself. Find out AT WHAT POINT they will be in the market for a new vehicle. Ask about their family members' needs. DISCUSS THEIR CURRENT VEHICLE! The file in your possession would show previous purchases from your dealership and the make and model that they traded. Discern their apparent buying cycle. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks Gary, one thing I failed to mention also is right after I posted this last night I asked about orphan files and they've all been claimed by others in the dealership so there are no more left, any ideas from here? - by DrPattyCakes
If you are not getting walk-in traffic you need to proactively FIND people who are in the market for an automobile. I suggest you obtain orphan files of past customers at this dealership. Call them and introduce yourself. Find out AT WHAT POINT they will be in the market for a new vehicle. Ask about their family members' needs. DISCUSS THEIR CURRENT VEHICLE! The file in your possession would show previous purchases from your dealership and the make and model that they traded. Discern their apparent buying cycle.

I was once a financial recruiter in the San Francisco, moving accountants between public accounting and private industry throughout the bay area.

I learned that if an accountant working in Oakland, decided to take the same job in San Francisco, his or her income would increase, and as much as 20%-25%.

With working through other recruiters, I found that this is also true in sales and most other career opportunities. What you are worth is what someone is willing to pay you, which also ties into the opportunities their location and in-house protocol offers.

Gary has a wealth of knowledge in this area, always offering sound practical advice. If after implementing his suggestions, and you are still not earning at least a reasonable income--please consider moving where the money is.

Far too many waste their talents and tolerate unreasonable conditions, spending months and even years waiting for a financial miracle to occur in their area.

The difference between a fulfilling life and one of frustration and disappointment, can literally be a matter of just walking across the street. - by John Voris
Thanks Gary, one thing I failed to mention also is right after I posted this last night I asked about orphan files and they've all been claimed by others in the dealership so there are no more left, any ideas from here?
It doesn't matter if they have been "claimed." Are they being WORKED? If not then you need to go to management and claim them yourself. Auto sales is not for the timid. If, on the other hand, they ARE being worked--and worked diligently--WHY do they need you? In other words if all bases are covered--just what do they expect of you? If they can't guide you in that direction with a sound strategy, I suggest you find another dealership. You have to THINK your way through a sales career. If you don't you'll die on the vine. - by Gary A Boye
If you sell trucks, you can start calling around to tradesmen. Electric companies, roofers, HVAC all types of construction businesses. Keep some note cards in your car and take notes. When you see a business vehicle that looks like it may need to be replaced soon then write the name of the business down and give them a call.

Also, I belong to some networking groups that have a car salesman in them. Last week one of the guys brought a car and after the meeting we all went and looked at it.

Just a few suggestions.

Happy Hunting! - by Sell4alivn
Here are some sources to research:
  • Customers;
    • Current
    • Former
  • Prospects
  • Trade;
    • association
    • publication
    • directories
  • Chambers of commerce
  • D&B ratings
  • Cold canvass
  • Direct mail campaigns
  • Clubs (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.)
  • Organizations (Elks, Moose, etc.)
  • Yellow pages
  • Newspapers
  • Friends and neighbors
- by Community Mailbox
I appreciate all the help that I've received so far, I'll be applying these ideas Monday (tomorrow) but before that, I'll write myself a to-do list which I'll be "doing" during the dead periods.

Thanks for your help and I'll post feedback on the tips when I have the chance, possibly with more questions on execution.

Salespractice.com rocks :) Easily one of the best resources I know for help. - by DrPattyCakes
So all the orphans have been claimed eh?

Thats great.

Assuming your dealership has a 25% deal ratio
then that means 75% of previous enquirers didn't
buy a car from the dealership.

That means there are three times more prospects
all presumably 'unclaimed' because the existing 'salesmen'
failed to sell a vehicle to them.

Assuming the dealership has an activity log, you should
be allowed access to all those wonderful folks who didn't buy here.

Call them with a conversation along the lines suggested by Gary
and away you go. I get goosebumps just thinking about this.

It's what I did at every dealership I moved to, and I quickly became top salesman at every one of them.

Who needs 'walk-ins'?

Leave them for the lay-a-bouts, and you get on with the pro-active stuff

Good luck (but you won't need it)

. - by helisell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.