Home > Personal Selling > Average Product

Average Product

If you could only sell an average product, can you do it? How will you get and stay motivated? - by bobster999
If you could only sell an average product, can you do it? How will you get and stay motivated?
What is an "average product?"

If whatever you mean by that describes a product that can be sold, I would say EARNINGS would serve as a motivator.

But again--what is an "average product?" - by Gary A Boye
What is an "average product?"

If whatever you mean by that describes a product that can be sold, I would say EARNINGS would serve as a motivator.

But again--what is an "average product?"
By average i mean that its no worse or better than other products that do the same thing for the same cost etc... - by bobster999
Bobster:

Customers just don't buy products. They buy service, on time delivery, the salesman as a resource and many other things. Sell your product, your company and yourself. - by Sell4alivn
If you could only sell an average product, can you do it? How will you get and stay motivated?
Interesting question and the first two things that spring to mind are;

1.) When you say average are you looking at it through a prospection eyes or through your own eyes? Your product surely wouldn't be average in every field (cost, reliability, features etc). There would be something that is above average to your product or service that the competition would not be meeting.

2.) Why do you choose to sell this average product? I would say 90% of the people on this forum who sell something, believe in their product.

Not every salesman has the best or cheapest product on the market, however; they understand value is in the eye of the beholder and believe in their product enough to fight for the sale.

If you don't have that faith in your product, you will never fully be able to fight objections because deep down you believe there are better products in the market and you believe your customer does too. They might not know...

I also agree with what Sell4alivn said. - by MrCharisma
Interesting question and the first two things that spring to mind are;

1.) When you say average are you looking at it through a prospection eyes or through your own eyes? Your product surely wouldn't be average in every field (cost, reliability, features etc). There would be something that is above average to your product or service that the competition would not be meeting.

2.) Why do you choose to sell this average product? I would say 90% of the people on this forum who sell something, believe in their product.

Not every salesman has the best or cheapest product on the market, however; they understand value is in the eye of the beholder and believe in their product enough to fight for the sale.

If you don't have that faith in your product, you will never fully be able to fight objections because deep down you believe there are better products in the market and you believe your customer does too. They might not know...

I also agree with what Sell4alivn said.
Thanks for replying... I say average because im trying to get into sells. It seems to me that the only available products / services to sell are just that, average at best. Im mainly trying to get into the mindset of a great salesman to understand how one would prepare himself mentally to totally believe in his product. I see alot of positions offered for harder to sell products than for products from a top well known company. I was fired from my last job because i didnt sell enough cars. They throw you out there and tell you a few things and expect you to make an expensive sale. I was selling Fords and found that difficult for one reason or another. Not just Ford im sure, car business is tough for a newbee. - by bobster999
Thanks for replying... I say average because im trying to get into sells. It seems to me that the only available products / services to sell are just that, average at best. Im mainly trying to get into the mindset of a great salesman to understand how one would prepare himself mentally to totally believe in his product. I see alot of positions offered for harder to sell products than for products from a top well known company. I was fired from my last job because i didnt sell enough cars. They throw you out there and tell you a few things and expect you to make an expensive sale. I was selling Fords and found that difficult for one reason or another. Not just Ford im sure, car business is tough for a newbee.
As MrCharisma suggests:
"If you don't have that faith in your product, you will never fully be able to fight objections because deep down you believe there are better products in the market and you believe your customer does too. They might not know..."

Assume that what you sell is an extension of who you are.

The more enthusiasm you naturally demonstrate while selling your chosen product or service, the greater your innate sense of self is being revealed.

When what you sell resonates with your inner beleifs and values, confidence and enthusiasm comes just as naturally. These qualities will show up throughout your sales process and be felt by the prospect.

Often sales people do not reach their potential because they are selling the wrong "widget."

So, it is not "let's go sell what's hot" but what can be identified with and felt as a sense of pride.

Also, if you don't believe in what you are selling, how can your prospect believe in you or your product or service?

Car sales didn't work--so what! Find something else.

Selling beer to local bars is not the same as selling pharmaceuticals to doctors or selling private Lear Jets to executives. The general format is the same but the execution is very different. And different execution elicits different responses from prospects.

Successful sales agents look relaxed when selling because they have found this connection. - by John Voris
As MrCharisma suggests:
"If you don't have that faith in your product, you will never fully be able to fight objections because deep down you believe there are better products in the market and you believe your customer does too. They might not know..."

Assume that what you sell is an extension of who you are.

The more enthusiasm you naturally demonstrate while selling your chosen product or service, the greater your innate sense of self is being revealed.

When what you sell resonates with your inner beleifs and values, confidence and enthusiasm comes just as naturally. These qualities will show up throughout your sales process and be felt by the prospect.

Often sales people do not reach their potential because they are selling the wrong "widget."

So, it is not "let's go sell what's hot" but what can be identified with and felt as a sense of pride.

Also, if you don't believe in what you are selling, how can your prospect believe in you or your product or service?

Car sales didn't work--so what! Find something else.

Selling beer to local bars is not the same as selling pharmaceuticals to doctors or selling private Lear Jets to executives. The general format is the same but the execution is very different. And different execution elicits different responses from prospects.

Successful sales agents look relaxed when selling because they have found this connection.
Well said John.

I have recently finished selling and training 100's of contractors about selling electricity to residential homes through door to door.

When I think of selling an "average" product it brings me back to this time. Upon first glance I thought to myself "what the bloody hell am I doing? People don't care about electricity because they don't actually see it. The quality won't improve, their lights won't get brighter and blackouts won't stop if they switched to my company. Why would someone join me?"

On face value I was right in the comments I made above. I can't talk for my International readers but in Australia, most people don't care about the cost as long as it seems "right". If it is close to my last bill I'm sure it's fine.

I researched my company (Origin Energy for anyone that cares) and I found out some facts. They were the market leader in Australia for renewable energy, they were an Australian Stock Exchange company listed consistently in the Top 50 and a few other facts that if someone challenged "Why should I join Origin?" I could hit them between the eyes with the exact reason.

I don't think anyone here can make someone believe in their product. I suggest some further soul searching into your company, your product and your offer and if you can't find a reason why a customer would select you, perhaps go and work for your competitor. At least that way you will believe they have something of value... - by MrCharisma
My enthusiasm comes from helping people reach their desired outcomes (aka "Get what they want). You might think of it as an "emotial payoff". Selling to me centers on finding out what people want and helping them get it so enthusiasm for what I do is generally not an issue. - by Jeff Blackwell
Ok guys, thanks for your thoughts as i will take them into consideration. - by bobster999
Ok guys, thanks for your thoughts as i will take them into consideration.
What does taking them into consideration look like? - by Gary A Boye
What does taking them into consideration look like?
The reason for posting my original question is to ask opinions from professionals. I then evaluate, decipher, and consider the responses. From there i can throw them out of the back door, put them on a shelf or insert into my right front pocket for easy access. LOL, anyway im not sure where you were going with your question. :cu - by bobster999
The reason for posting my original question is to ask opinions from professionals. I then evaluate, decipher, and consider the responses. From there i can throw them out of the back door, put them on a shelf or insert into my right front pocket for easy access. LOL, anyway im not sure where you were going with your question. :cu
bobster999, where I'm going with my question is, hopefully, to get the point across that the members who took the time to help you were not doing it to be auditioned. The tone of your last two posts sounded like you have the misguided notion that they were.

Capisci? - by Gary A Boye
If you have only average products in any industry, then the industry must have fully matured, and customers are all happy with any of the products from any of the competitors. If customers have higher expectations, there's always scope for improvement.

I think, by understanding the market's unfulfilled expectations and the products of your own and of your competitors, you can make any average product unique.

True, this may not be in the hands of the salesperson to do this, but she/ he could influence the company's decisions on this.

Sometimes, this can be done by simply improving some part of the service, but unless marketing integrates this into their product positioning, the success will be limited.

If one has to sell an average product, I think one has to move on to another company where the management wants to sell unique ('extraordinary') products & services. You don't want your talent and efforts wasted, do you?

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.