Home > Cold Calling > Cold Calling For Alarm Sales Please Help!

Cold Calling For Alarm Sales Please Help!

Hello,

I will Try to keepthis brief per the 20minute limit. I have been in the alarm industry for 2 years going door to door and have done moderatly well. I was recently hired by ADT to be their rep covering a large very underdeveloped area-Northern Maine. I have been very comfortable with my door to door aproach in the past however its very different here and i am looking to expand my prospecting. This is new for me.

I have some cold calling experience in the past (cold calling mortgages) but it has been a while for me. Im hoping that someone would be able to give me some advice on cold calling to set up my own appointments as i will be calling then meeting them for the appointment at a later date.

A few of the many questions i have would be-

Should i treat this any differently than a normal cold call as i will be the one dealing with them later?

What opening lines have worked for this or similar industries?

How sucussful has this method been in the past?

If possible an outline of a pitch would be great. Dont need a full script but general points.

Also what other prospecting methods have worked for people>?

ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! - by TSteves1
Hello,

I have been in the alarm industry for 2 years going door to door and have done moderatly well. I was recently hired by ADT to be their rep covering a large very underdeveloped area-Northern Maine. I have been very comfortable with my door to door aproach in the past however its very different here and i am looking to expand my prospecting. This is new for me.
If you were moderately successful with the approach to cold calling that you were doing previously.....why isn't it working for you now?

You don't mention where you were from that is 'different' from where you are now in Northern Maine now. You haven't even changed industry's, since you were working for an alarm company and now for ADT. - by Paulette Halpern
To clarify then-

My experience in the alarm industry has been only through cold door to door knocking in large cities ie Denver, Houston, Orlando ect... New for me are two things- Being in a different environment as northern maine is far from being a city. The largest town in my region is 30,000 people. Also cold calling is new for me in this industry. As states APX was a very structured door knocking company with higher commisions but a much more rigid schedule. With ADT i am simply asked to sell unit by any means. Very open, market yourself how you want do what you have to type terms. I get a number of ompany provided leads and am responsible for getting my own as well. My manager suggested cold calling.

I would say my approach in the past has revolved around the fact that it was belly to belly sales. I have always put more emphasis on what im doing then what im selling. Body language, progression of the sale, moving through the house. From whati remember cold calling is a bit different. But it has been a couple years since i have had to make calls.

Any Advice is Appreciated!! - by TSteves1
When i refer to cold calling i mean calling via phone cold. To set up the appointment. - by TSteves1
When i refer to cold calling i mean calling via phone cold. To set up the appointment.
All companies accumulate their own statistical averages. Everyone in cold-call selling should keep a register of their cold contacts to converted sales ratios. For example, some sell 10 times out of 20 contacts. The sales rep make a change and suddenly the average drops to 5 out of 20. That tells you all you need.

Traditionally, phone sales is much more difficult. For example in the insurance business our ratio was for every 100 calls
(actually speaking to someone) we would generate 4 appointments with 2 sales.

So, in 6 hours of phone calls and talking to 100 people, I generated 2 sales. But when I met my prospects in person, I would make 12 sales out of just 20 contacts. That does not mean you should generate the same 12 to 20 ratio, but you can see how keeping a journal of contact to sale ratios, can provide you with an objective approach to your question.

When I cold called with personal contacts I also collected more referrals and generated deeper rapport. I also witnessed the impact I had on my prospects. If I had called these people in advance to arrange an appointment, I would never sell as much. But the product often determines the better approach.

In fact, every time I wanted to change a process, I first consulted these statistics and compared these statistics with those I collected after the change.

Every company is different but once you find their average you can compare it with your own and track your efficiency rate.

Also, many people in sales find their sales increase when face to face and decrease through phone cold calling. This is most likely never to change and visa versa. That is just natural.

Finally, compare the type of people you are contacting. Busy people found in cities may view phone calls more favorably, while farmland people may expect that personal touch.

The way to find out if this is true is by consulting the company's sales patterns between urban and rural settings.

No sales rep should re-invent the wheel. Contact the corporate headquarters if need be but knowing the statistical averages helps in many areas.

Always use what works for you. If face to face is your approach, then don't stop.

I hope you can benefit from something here. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.