Home > Management > Information Sharing across the sales team?

Information Sharing across the sales team?

What is your experience of best practice to have key account managers, working in different sub-sectors proactively share information with each other?

This is a problem many Managers face. What do you find works best to encourage this whilst accepting the sales team will naturally compete with each other but for the sake of the overall team performance it is vital they share information? - by Jennifer
What is your experience of best practice to have key account managers, working in different sub-sectors proactively share information with each other?

This is a problem many Managers face. What do you find works best to encourage this whilst accepting the sales team will naturally compete with each other but for the sake of the overall team performance it is vital they share information?
That's a very interesting question. If this forum had a section on Leadership, the topic would belong there.

The best sales organizations have strong leadership that maintains a spirit of competitiveness while keeping fractionalization at a minimum. I believe a policy that requires such sharing of information among account managers is a good thing. Its effectiveness would be in direct proportion to the accountability to comply placed upon the participants. In a real life scenario I think that the quality of the information would vary among the managers. Those that would be predisposed to advancement might use the task as a way to showcase their thoughts. Others, who normally comply halfheartedly with paperwork requirements (common in sales), might contribute substantially less. - by Gary A Boye
When information is shared, everyone wins. The benefits may include how someone handled a particular objection or condition, the best way to answer a certain question or concern, how to improve customer service, ways to speed up the sales process and we could probably list at least a dozen more. Any Company can ne compared to a Cruise Ship where every Team needs to work together. Part of the Ship can't sink on it's own anymore than only part of it can reach the Port. - by Stan Billue
thanks Gary and Stan and completely agree with you both. I do think Director's of sales team do all understand the need to have their team share information but the key question remains of how to make this happen and in a spirit of wanting to versus being forced to complete reports etc.
ps my apologies Gary am new to Sales Practice, have I posted this discussion in the wrong forum?? - by Jennifer
ps my apologies Gary am new to Sales Practice, have I posted this discussion in the wrong forum??
No, Jennifer. Actually I was incorrect in implying we should have a Leadership section. We do--and you found it.

Welcome! - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.