Home > Personal Selling > Sales Myths

Sales Myths

In your experience, what are some of the myths regarding the field of sales or sales reps in general? - by CoachMaria
Great topic!

Here are three to get started:
  • The advice that says never ask a question that can be answered with a yes or NO.
  • The popular cliche', ABC, always be closing.
  • Sales is about overcoming objections.
- by Gary A Boye
Great response Gary -thank you! - by CoachMaria
I will throw in, "Salespeople are born, not made." - by Jeff Blackwell
I couldn't agree more with that one as a myth, Jeff! - by CoachMaria
Maria, how about you sharing some of the sales lore that you believe are myths? - by Gary A Boye
"Sales is a numbers game"

I always cringe when I hear it...

"The close is 80% of the deal"

Not anymore... - by tw5270
"The best salesperson is one who can sell car tire to a person who doesn't have a car." - Nothing could be farther from the truth. - by ezynes
"Great talkers make great salespeople"
"Good salespeople can wing it"
"Successful salespeople make good sales managers" - by rensia0303
A corollary to rensia0303's post:
Myth: "Successful salespeople make good sales managers":

Reality, stated differently: "Sometimes, when you promote a good salesperson to Sales Manager, you lose a good salesperson and get a bad Sales Manager".

Ganesan. - by ezynes
The routine promoting of good salespeople to sales managers is not so much linked to mythology, but rather to The Peter Principle which states "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

The sales industry has no exclusive on that phenomenon. Rest assured it will continue simply because it's the nature of things.

The real point is that we all have levels of incompetence, and, as individuals, we must guard ourselves from falling prey to the common things which can create a downward spiral in our careers. - by Gary A Boye
I want to point out as follow-up to my own post above, that authentic opportunity in sales management is ALWAYS linked to incentive, usually in the form of an override. It is that which can transcend the dead end danger of a sales management job and make that job rewarding. Of course, some people just like to be in charge. But being in charge, or the illusion of being in charge, can wear thin. On the other hand, if a person with very successful selling skills can duplicate those skills among the people he/she manages, and gets a direct compensation for doing so, THAT can be productive for all concerned. - by Gary A Boye
Absolutely. Couldn't have been said better.

Ganesan. - by ezynes
In your experience, what are some of the myths regarding the field of sales or sales reps in general?
How about: Most successful sales people are extroverts. - by John Voris
How about: Most successful sales people are extroverts.
Yes. It's largely due to not understanding the true meaning of "extrovert" which is someone who draws his/her feedback from without, as opposed to "introvert" which refers to a person who draws his/her feedback from within.

Many top achievers in sales are introverts. - by Gary A Boye
Yes. It's largely due to not understanding the true meaning of "extrovert" which is someone who draws his/her feedback from without, as opposed to "introvert" which refers to a person who draws his/her feedback from within.

Many top achievers in sales are introverts.
Exactly! Of course I expected you to know that. ;bg

Unfortunately, those who would classify themselves as introverts, according to the corporate definition, avoid approaching sales as a career when there might have been a match.

Many other introverts think that wanting to be the center of attention and the loudest in the room, are prerequisites to sales success and never apply.

Myers/Briggs did a great disservice to millions of people over the years by ignoring Jung's direct criticism on this matter.

As you know, there are many more pseudo-scientific ideas advanced by the sales training industry today that are directly responsible for denying people their right to contentment and well-being. - by John Voris
As you know, there are many more pseudo-scientific ideas advanced by the sales training industry today that are directly responsible for denying people their right to contentment and well-being.
Large segments of that industry are Contextually Challenged. - by Gary A Boye
After interviewing many sales candidates over the years, I always looked forward to asking the applicant, "What makes you want to get into sales?"

Can you guess the funniest a