Home > Approach > Senior Health Care question

Senior Health Care question

Hi everyone - I'm a Operations manager for a senior living business - we are rolling out new selling program to the marketing team, but as of right now it doesn't include alot of "structured" follow up information....they have a specific number of calls to make each week to leads (actual people who might move in) and referral sources (people who send us the leads). However, I'm questioning the "just following up or just checking in to see if you have any referrals for us this week" philosophy that I see with so many of my sales/marketing people. The leads are easier to follow up with, there is generally a personal reason they contacted us in the first place, but with referral sources such as physicians, hospital discharge planners, etc. it's harder and harder to find reasons to follow up with them. Any advice or tips? thanks. - by snowgirl
Every follow-up Call should have a Purpose other than something lame like "just touching bases" or "just calling to see if you had any questions", etc. Every Call should be Scripted (or at least have a Call Guide) and the purpose could be to share some new information about the Facility, or some of the great activities everyone enjoyed this month, or even a testimonial thrown in occasionally.

By calling them with new information and/or something of value, you are keeping your Name in front of them without boring and/or irritating them. Many studies indicate that it requires 5 to 8 "impressions" before someone is willing to try something new. At the end of each Call you've now "earned the right" to at least inquire if their plans have been finalized or do they have any uncertainties or are they ready to proceed to the next step, etc. - by Stan Billue
ALL follow-should be preceded by a PROMISE to follow up on a particular issue. We call that "promise generated."

If you search that term on this forum you will get further explanation. - by Gary A Boye
Hi everyone - I'm a Operations manager for a senior living business - we are rolling out new selling program to the marketing team, but as of right now it doesn't include alot of "structured" follow up information....they have a specific number of calls to make each week to leads (actual people who might move in) and referral sources (people who send us the leads). However, I'm questioning the "just following up or just checking in to see if you have any referrals for us this week" philosophy that I see with so many of my sales/marketing people. The leads are easier to follow up with, there is generally a personal reason they contacted us in the first place, but with referral sources such as physicians, hospital discharge planners, etc. it's harder and harder to find reasons to follow up with them. Any advice or tips? thanks.
We have owned a residential care home for the elderly since 1988 and often use referral agencies.

Just as others have said here, all follow up requires a specific purpose regardless of the business.

With elder care, the reasons for or against moving their loved one to a specific facility is extremely fluid and can change daily.

We follow up to let them know if we have others looking at the same room.

We may reconsider the price if their need is urgent and give them a call.

Often it is inner-family debating that causes delays in making a decision and they need help.

Who is in charge, also changes with sibling rivalry--it really can get nasty. Maybe a facility was perfect but Aunt Mary's in charge and she wants to find something cheaper.

Follow-up in this business is cut and dry in the moment but changes with the "powers-that-be." That is why follow up is necessary and expected depending on the situation.

I hope I interpreted your situation accurately. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.