Home > Education > Product-pushing peddlers

Product-pushing peddlers

I recently came across the term, product-pushing peddler. When you hear that term what do you envision in your mind? Put another way, what are the characteristics of a product-pushing peddler? - by Community Mailbox
I think of somebody who has no feedback mechanism. They don't listen to or hear anyone else.

They're carrying a hammer and every prospect's problem has to be a nail.

My sense is that - for the most part - the days of the product-peddler are gone. - MM - by magicman
I recently came across the term, product-pushing peddler. When you hear that term what do you envision in your mind?
When I see or hear "product-pushing peddler" I think of individuals in the 1800's traveling the countryside selling books, tinware, lightning rods, etc. to local farmers and townspeople.

As Walter Friedman points out in his book, Birth of a Salesman: The Transformation of Selling in America;
"Peddlers were an indispensable part of early America's market revolution, carrying manufactured goods, imports, books, and broadsides."
- by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.