Home > Education > Sales 3.0 - What is Sales 3.0?

Sales 3.0 - What is Sales 3.0?

Is Sales 3.0 a new frontier in selling or just more hype from a few in the business of selling sales training? - by Community Mailbox
Looking around the web, their seems to be a lot of different interpretations and definitions for terms like Sales 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.

"All wisdom begins with the definition of terms" said Socrates.

What's your interpretation or meaning? - by Clive Miller
I have to agree with Clive -- non of these Sales 1.0, 2.0,, 3.0 have ever been defined so intelligent discussion as to how good or bad they might be is nearly impossible.

The one thing that is true and I related in the other post is that most training programs don't generate real and lasting results if any at all.

This isn't just the little guys -- I had a client that did one of the major sales programs, everyone knows them, I won't drop the name here, but they spent tens of thousands of dollars with absolutely no results. Two months after the program none of the salespeople were doing what was taught. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
In my opinion the greatest power a sales representative has is adaptation. Customers, environments and products alter and differ... yet we create value by adapting to each situation.

So with that belief I don't see how there is a Sales 2.0 or 3.0...

There are professional visitors in sales who are inflexible and there are those who continue to refine their craft and adapt with the times. - by MrCharisma
Pardon my ignorance for I may have been so left behind that there's a Sales 3.0 ! Haha....

Well, I think people nowadays are into branding and giving newer names to trends, when they all mean the same.

Selling is about understanding your customers, putting their interest first although you may lose that first sale, but you gain their trust and that goes a longer way.

I read so many different definitions of Sales 3.0, but they really just boil down to good ol' traditional sales terms such as referral, word-of-mouth, relationship selling, etc.

Sometimes I just wish these terms remain to its simple English description to make it less confusing for newbies to sales with all the hype going on.

What's the point of giving trendy technological-sounding names when the foundation and basics of good selling skills and practices are not looked into.

../Hanna. - by Hanna
I like Hanna's post. It makes good sense.

The worst sales time for me was during the 60s in sales (yeah, I've been doing this a while) when all the rage was the 10,000 best sales closes were in vogue.

Puppy dog close
sharp angle close
Do it to them first close...

Sales has evolved - not from 2.0 to 3.0; but from truly manipulative to rational.

One of the most trans-formative trends now is the switch from a salesperson controlling the sales process to a customer-centric approach during which the customer sets the pace.

The other seismic shift is from outbound prospecting (which - done right - can still have a positive effect) to a process where the customer starts the process by choosing to reach out to a salesperson.

All in all...it's a great time to be in sales. - by magicman
Is Sales 3.0 a new frontier in selling or just more hype from a few in the business of selling sales training?
In SPIN Selling (1988) Neil Rackham wrote, "I'm always suspicious of people who introduce new jargon terms". I'm with Neil.

See... The Future of Selling - by Jeff Blackwell
Jeff, that's a great catch on a quote! Nicely played. I'm with Neil, as well. - MM - by magicman
Pardon my ignorance for I may have been so left behind that there's a Sales 3.0 ! Haha....

Well, I think people nowadays are into branding and giving newer names to trends, when they all mean the same.

Selling is about understanding your customers, putting their interest first although you may lose that first sale, but you gain their trust and that goes a longer way.

I read so many different definitions of Sales 3.0, but they really just boil down to good ol' traditional sales terms such as referral, word-of-mouth, relationship selling, etc.

Sometimes I just wish these terms remain to its simple English description to make it less confusing for newbies to sales with all the hype going on.

What's the point of giving trendy technological-sounding names when the foundation and basics of good selling skills and practices are not looked into.

../Hanna.
Good insight.

As you know, sales is about human interaction, on a unique level that expresses our individuality. Any technique that does not entail the flexibility in content and application that humanity demands, will be artificial and communicate insincerity.

I avoid most "technical sounding" labels that tout a "new and improved" approach to selling for the reasons you sighted. Especially when these labels are followed by vague definitions. This tells me they are all about "smoke and mirrors" and by the way, that download will be $499.00.

For me, there are more good ideas shared here, at Salespractice, than what is currently dumped on the sales training market. Here there are real sales people dealing with the real triumphs and struggles of daily sales life. - by John Voris
I wasn't even aware of a Sales 3.0. It probably has something to do with how you find prospects and connect with your customers through social media.

I agree with Hanna, its just a label, just another fancy way of saying "sales." - by JulieTNL
Interesting discussion...the only thing that is changing in sales is the addition of new mediums of reaching people. The keys to sales success remain understanding who your target market is and what the benefits are to them and then presenting your message in a way that inspires them to take action. Too often the hype over shadows the essentials...sales is about benefits and solutions (either real or perceived). - by NENconnect
So hype in my opinion, more like "re-packaging" of solid concepts to help the customer make a rational decision.

Stacy - by StacyJo1962
In agreement with Hanna, nothing beats having a great product that will pretty much sale itself and the exposure of the product. Referrals and word of mouth may seem old fashioned, but it works and it always boils down to being honest and treating your customer right. Besides, they are the reason you are selling anyway. - by kenneth1
Hanna said it well and MagicMan hit it on the head.

Sales has changed, but to 3.0....HA HA that's rich. - by tw5270
One of the key areas thatís evolving in sales is that our prospects can now become much more informed via the internet about our products/services and the competitionís. This fact places the responsibility directly on professional sales folks to ensure they are much more informed than in the past and can clearly differentiate their product vs. the competitorís in the eyes of these informed customers.

Good news is that, if informed prospects call or visit, they probably believe our products are superior and as long as we can convincingly confirm this, the sale may happen more quickly. The challenge, of course, is to ensure our websites are designed to make it easy for prospects to find what product/service they need and why ours is the best choice. - by LarryNN
In SPIN Selling (1988) Neil Rackham wrote, "I'm always suspicious of people who introduce new jargon terms". I'm with Neil. ;)
Exactly

The Internet is nothing but another tool. While tools change, the human endeavor remains the same. Nietzsche called it ďeternal recurrence.Ē

While statistics demonstrate the willingness of many to bypass the local store for purchasing online, there are many items that are not conducive to online exchange. Also, there are economic pockets of people that avoid online purchasing altogether or cannot participate.

If you are a self-anointed guru who is out of a job or is looking for greater income a few of the available options have been: inventing a problem that is not there; dusting off archival material and repackaging it as if itís new; collaborate with other gurus to push the same disinformation; all done by the manipulation, exaggeration and invention of raw statistics, is the way to go.

In my opinion, Sales 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are no better than political Champaign slogans.

What if the Wright brothers announced Transportation 1.0? Then TransAmerican Airlines announced Transportation 2.0? Followed by NASA announcing Transportation 3.0? As long as we want to be transported there will always be pilots. - by John Voris
I don't believe sales ever moved beyond 1.0.

And I'm glad it didn't.

Ganesan. - by ezynes
I agree with everyone about jargon and hate the term sales 2.0 used to describe some new thing to buy however, the cheese has moved!

For those who haven't read Who Moved my Cheese? by Spencer Johnson and Ken Blanchard, the cheese is a metaphor for whatever sustains you in your job, career, or life.

Long gone are the days when a sales person held knowledge that wasn't readily available elsewhere. Today, potential customers do their research and comparisons online. By the time a sales person is involved, often all that's left is the quote/proposal and negotiation. The opportunity to build a relationship has passed by.

Are you experiencing any of these symptoms?
  • Increased difficulty getting access to decision makers.
  • When you do get access it is late in their thinking/buying process.
  • Prospects often seem to know of their best (most competitive) alternatives.
  • There seems to be less opportunity to differentiate because customers are already comparing you with similar suppliers.
  • Less differentiation and greater awareness of market prices seems to put more pressure on price.
If some or all of these symptoms are hurting your sales, it may be that you are experiencing the consequences of the digital age.

By sharing we are all the richer.

Help others recognise the issue and what to do about it by sharing your experiences and solutions - - by Clive Miller
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.