Home > Education > Sales 3.0 - What is Sales 3.0?

Sales 3.0 - What is Sales 3.0?

Is Sales 3.0 a new frontier in selling or just more hype from a few in the business of selling sales training? - by Community Mailbox
Looking around the web, their seems to be a lot of different interpretations and definitions for terms like Sales 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0.

"All wisdom begins with the definition of terms" said Socrates.

What's your interpretation or meaning? - by Clive Miller
I have to agree with Clive -- non of these Sales 1.0, 2.0,, 3.0 have ever been defined so intelligent discussion as to how good or bad they might be is nearly impossible.

The one thing that is true and I related in the other post is that most training programs don't generate real and lasting results if any at all.

This isn't just the little guys -- I had a client that did one of the major sales programs, everyone knows them, I won't drop the name here, but they spent tens of thousands of dollars with absolutely no results. Two months after the program none of the salespeople were doing what was taught. - by Flyn L. Penoyer
In my opinion the greatest power a sales representative has is adaptation. Customers, environments and products alter and differ... yet we create value by adapting to each situation.

So with that belief I don't see how there is a Sales 2.0 or 3.0...

There are professional visitors in sales who are inflexible and there are those who continue to refine their craft and adapt with the times. - by MrCharisma
Pardon my ignorance for I may have been so left behind that there's a Sales 3.0 ! Haha....

Well, I think people nowadays are into branding and giving newer names to trends, when they all mean the same.

Selling is about understanding your customers, putting their interest first although you may lose that first sale, but you gain their trust and that goes a longer way.

I read so many different definitions of Sales 3.0, but they really just boil down to good ol' traditional sales terms such as referral, word-of-mouth, relationship selling, etc.

Sometimes I just wish these terms remain to its simple English description to make it less confusing for newbies to sales with all the hype going on.

What's the point of giving trendy technological-sounding names when the foundation and basics of good selling skills and practices are not looked into.

../Hanna. - by Hanna
I like Hanna's post. It makes good sense.

The worst sales time for me was during the 60s in sales (yeah, I've been doing this a while) when all the rage was the 10,000 best sales closes were in vogue.

Puppy dog close
sharp angle close
Do it to them first close...

Sales has evolved - not from 2.0 to 3.0; but from truly manipulative to rational.

One of the most trans-formative trends now is the switch from a salesperson controlling the sales process to a customer-centric approach during which the customer sets the pace.

The other seismic shift is from outbound prospecting (which - done right - can still have a positive effect) to a process where the customer starts the process by choosing to reach out to a salesperson.

All in all...it's a great time to be in sales. - by magicman
Is Sales 3.0 a new frontier in selling or just more hype from a few in the business of selling sales training?
In SPIN Selling (1988) Neil Rackham wrote, "I'm always suspicious of people who introduce new jargon terms". I'm with Neil.

See... The Future of Selling - by Jeff Blackwell
Jeff, that's a great catch on a quote! Nicely played. I'm with Neil, as well. - MM - by magicman
Pardon my ignorance for I may have been so left behind that there's a Sales 3.0 ! Haha....

Well, I think people nowadays are into branding and giving newer names to trends, when they all mean the same.

Selling is about understanding your customers, putting their interest first although you may lose that first sale, but you gain their trust and that goes a longer way.

I read so many different definitions of Sales 3.0, but they really just boil down to good ol' traditional sales terms such as referral, word-of-mouth, relationship selling, etc.

Sometimes I just wish these terms remain to its simple English description to make it less confusing for newbies to sales with all the hype going on.

What's the point of giving trendy technological-sounding names when the foundation and basics of good selling skills and practices are not looked into.

../Hanna.
Good insight.

As you know, sales is about human interaction, on a unique level that expresses our individuality. Any technique that does not entail the flexibility in content and application that humanity demands, will be artificial and communicate insincerity.

I avoid most "technical sounding