Home > Consumer Behavior > A set of goals to which consumers strive ...

A set of goals to which consumers strive ...

"All people have a vision of the good life that manifests itself in a set of goals toward which consumers consciously or subsconsciously strive. Such goals find part of their expression in a demand for products that contribute to the good life or the preferred life vision. However, since consumers' visions of the good life are apt to be hazy, it is possible to influence their goals." --John O'Shaughnessy

Do you believe the statement above is accurate? - by Community Mailbox
"All people have a vision of the good life that manifests itself in a set of goals toward which consumers consciously or subsconsciously strive. Such goals find part of their expression in a demand for products that contribute to the good life or the preferred life vision." --John O'Shaughnessy

Do you believe the statement above is accurate?
Yes, I believe that statement is accurate. I would go further and suggest that the statement above is a principle (a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct) of selling. - by Jeff Blackwell
Yes, I believe that statement is accurate. I would go further and suggest that the statement above is a principle (a basic generalization that is accepted as true and that can be used as a basis for reasoning or conduct) of selling.
I agree Jeff. Every prospect displays what they value and what they are looking for if you know where to look. I have discovered that what prospects really want is hidden beneath what they are asking for though. - by John Voris
I have discovered that what prospects really want is hidden beneath what they are asking for though.
How is that different from what John O'Shaughnessy was writing about? - by Jeff Blackwell
How is that different from what John O'Shaughnessy was writing about?

Well, its really a matter of reference.

Your vision of the "good" life, manifests very differently today than when you were 20 years old. That means it is very slippery concept over time and isolating it into a goal is not that prudent even if possible.

There are also many people who do not know what a truly"good" life is, to have that image as a place to get to. Gang warfare and alcoholism comes to mind.

When people plan or fail to plan, often good things happened to them anyway. Happy events that they could have never anticipated much less set as a goal.

How many people wanted to be a doctor or lawyer when they were 20 years old, then life grabbed them and placed them into unchartered waters, for them to find true contentment?

How many stayed in ill fitting careers because when they made this discovery because it was too late to get out?

How many complain, "I love my job but hate what I do or I love what I do but hate my job?" They thought they had a grip on the "good" life but misinterpreted it along the way only to have unpredictable opportunity later knock on their door.

When people stand back and look at their life, what appeared to have been chaos at the time, often turns out to reveal a far grander scheme than they could have ever imagined.

It seems that beneath that hazy clutter of thinking we know what really motivates us, is a structure that has always been there that give us a sense of self. If that were not true we all would be schizophrenic. - by John Voris
Your vision of the "good" life, manifests very differently today than when you were 20 years old. That means it is very slippery concept over time and isolating it into a goal is not that prudent even if possible.
In my opinion, O'Shaughnessy's quote does not imply (1) a static vision of the "good life" or that such a vision is (2) isolated into a single goal.

VISION: In my opinion, everyone has a vision, no matter how limited it may seem, of what they perceive to be the good life.

GOAL: In my opinion, people buy goods and services because of the benefits (payoff) they believe they can/will receive as a result. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.