Home > Sales Promotion > Selling at Exhibition booth

Selling at Exhibition booth

How do we get to entice people to hear about our product and do closing in a short period of time? - by Roslan
How do we get to entice people to hear about our product and do closing in a short period of time?

Could you give us a little more information on the type of product and what type of trade show?

In general:
  • Premail to attendees.
  • Have an eye catching booth.
  • Don't be passive in working your booth.
  • Work the floor. (but never talk to people who are in another booth)
  • Have a quick, attention getting elevator speech with a hook.

This is a quick start and I am sure that the others will be able to add more. - by Sell4alivn
Apart from good practices to be observed at the booth as suggested by Sell4alivn (which are operational issues),...

a strategic issue I'll look at it is, delivering a top class elevator pitch (preferably customized based on the visitor's background which may be somewhat difficult, but never mind if it's not customized), so the visitor should want to get in touch with you immediately after the trade show (e.g., can your pitch be the one thing that the visitor would remember the most about the trade show?),

a tactical issue is, can you do something that serves as a memory hook? (e.g., like someone had suggested in this forum elsewhere, attach a pill for headache to your brochure, and below it, say, "Looking for a way to solve your xxxxxx headache? Don't reach out for a pill. Call us, and we'll cure you of your headache." Be as creative as you can.)

Ganesan. :~) - by ezynes
ezynes, your suggestions are good but I do want to offer you a heads up on something.

At SalesPractice, we don't condone the use of the word, "pitch", in place of presentation, talk, engagement, etc. - by Gary A Boye
Gary,

Thanks.

I'll try to keep this in mind.

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Years ago, I taught event marketing.

Those who are familiar with my work know that I designate Preparedness as the most important skill in selling. Nowhere is it more important than in trade show selling.

Here are some points I taught:

Preparedness is almost synonymous with Strategy. That means having everything "in place" for engaging attendees.

You must have a brief presentation.

The presentation must include three things.
  1. The reason your company is exhibiting. (Example: "What we're doing is showing the latest....")
  2. An invitation for the person to ask questions. (Example: "...and answering any questions you may have...")
  3. Followed by an Intrinsic Question ( Example: "If the price was right, and you found you could fit it into your budget, is ________ something you would like to own?")
Notice that everything above is honest, and to the point. You only have a brief moment to engage the person's interest. If you are not getting a response that encourages you to continue, you can't afford to waste time and lose the opportunity to talk to other people.

Two other important things to consider. First, the salespeople must be up front and active at all times. Eye contact and friendliness is paramount. Second, NOBODY should ever be allowed to work a trade show who doesn't want to be there. Not adhering to that rule will cost the company a lot of sales. - by Gary A Boye
To build on the topic of preparedness that Gary mentioned I would like to add that practice is an essential pre-show activity for everyone who will be working at the booth.

Like most selling skills, the brief presentation must be practiced to the point of proficiency before it will be effective. This must occur before the event takes place, not while it is taking place. The biggest mistake managers make is to assume that by giving their people a script to use that they can and will use it. Both limitations are overcome by practice. If they know it well then they can use it, and if they know it well they will use it because it is comfortable. Inspecting everyone's ability to deliver the message before the event is the start, and monitoring compliance during the event insures it is being used.

Further, as Gary said, only people that want to be at the event should be there. This is very important. I would add that management should also be present at the show to both ensure the proper behaviors and demonstrate the importance of the event. It is not enough to schedule staff for the event and then ask how it went when it is over. - by thesalesgiant
Valuable advice, Jon. Nice post. - by Gary A Boye
I do not profess to be an expert in selling at booths. I've done it a few times. Have attended many, of course.

Any sale is made up of 4 parts:
you as the seller
the prospect
the message
the context or environment

Often in a sales meeting you do not have a lot of control over the environment. When you sell from a booth, you have a lot of control. The first post wrote about having "an eye catching booth". I agree, you need something to attract traffic. What would work will depend on the market you are involved in. I have seen some people use a magician, others have had a video running, I even saw one using a clown ! (I am not sure what impression this would have created about what was being sold at the booth?)

Then, both the seller and the message need to be attuned to qualifying people at the booth. (Gary makes a couple of good points about the seller)

You then need a quiet area of the booth where you can hold more serious discussion.

Maybe offer a white paper or some form of assessment for those that leave their business cards. Make it easy for them with no big commitment. - by Greg Woodley
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.