Home > Consumer Behavior > Universal Buying Process

Universal Buying Process

Do you believe there is a universal buying process? If so, what does it look like? - by Community Mailbox
For me, there is a universal buying process but it does not an outlined processes of what "to do" but a single format as a way of "being."

Imagine that human beings had only one need and that single need is to express his or her inner identity. The rest are all wants and desires.

(Much of Maslow has long been dismissed by the way.)

What if through a technique of well placed questions, a sales rep could uncover the unique expression of the prospect and start selling to it?

That is what seems happens now with seasoned sales people but no one is aware of how to describe the event.

How valuable would it be if that could be taught? What if it carried a 100% guarantee to work and the core motivator of that prospect could be isolated and defined? - by John Voris
I don't believe that any buying process could accurately be described as universal. - by Gary A Boye
I don't believe that any buying process could accurately be described as universal.

What if there is such a process?

What if there is a single formula that can be used on anyone in the world and find what motivates them in life?

What if within a matter of seconds a sales agent could identify what motivates them to buy?

For example what if it was discovered that Bob had the Need To know as an identity type called Wisdom?

What if that Need To Know was responsible for guiding the rest of his decisions?

What if Wisdom influenced Bob to desire deeper Relationships rather than superficial Connections experienced by a grocery clerk?

What if that determined how to establish Rapport with Bob?

What if Wisdom was what he was known for by others, defining his purpose in life as one who dispensed usable Wisdom?

Maybe a sales agent had better demonstrate how much he or she knew about the product or service to impress Bob.

What if he focused that knowledge through Detailed information as a sub-type? How would knowing that, guide a sales agents way of selling to Bob? Easy, knowledgeable details.

Naturally, Bob is Introspective which is key for a thinker? He is also insatiably curious and explores eclectically looking for something new.

Selling Bob is not that easy if you come across as the classic fast talking "Blue Swede" sales rep.

Would it be unusual for his friends to be more educated or intelligent than the average?

Would it be unusual for him to get angry when others tried to behave with ignorance when they should have known better?

Naturally for him, he would insist that people be judged based on what they ought to know and should know, and with this foundation they ought not or should not engage in ignorant behavior. When this happens--look out.

Bob does not tolerate "stupid" people but is willing to support ignorant people who want to learn.

What if this was a single definable process that was also Universal?

What if a sales agent could use a formula to discover these universal traits?

What if this was accurate 100% of the time?

What would that be worth? - by John Voris
I agree with the definition of "Universal" as "a proposition that asserts something of all members of a class". With that being the case I do not believe there is a universal buying process.

However, I do believe there are patterns of behavior regarding consumer's disposition to buy (wanting without buying, buying without deciding, deciding before buying).

How valuable would it be if that could be taught? What if it carried a 100% guarantee to work and the core motivator of that prospect could be isolated and defined?
I believe that understanding a prospect's core motivator can be an important piece of the pie but not the entire pie. - by Jeff Blackwell
I agree with the definition of "Universal" as "a proposition that asserts something of all members of a class". With that being the case I do not believe there is a universal buying process.

However, I do believe there are patterns of behavior regarding consumer's disposition to buy (wanting without buying, buying without deciding, deciding before buying).

I believe that understanding a prospect's core motivator can be an important piece of the pie but not the entire pie.
What if there was a single formula that could be equally applied to each unique individual as a type?

What if humanity shared a finite universal set of traits that are hidden beneath both verbal and body language? A sales agent could simply access which trait dominates their motivations and know how to conduct the sales interaction.

For example, imagine someone was driven by Power as their core motivator. That could be a single universal trait that applies to that individual, explaining every aspect of their life.

These individual types generate predispositions that are sufficient for sales behavioral prediction.

So, someone driven by Pragmatics is looking for cheap and efficient. I don't know exactly what that person wants but I do know the class that matches this predisposition.

If I were selling cars, I would know that regardless of what his verbal and body language may tell me, I will drive his attention to the economical models. The conversation may appear to be chaotic but beneath this there still remains the core expression of Pragmatics.

If there is a core motivator, it is the pie--everything that follows would be the effect of this primary cause. - by John Voris
These individual types generate predispositions that are sufficient for sales behavioral prediction.
Out of curiosity what impact do personal wants, values and beliefs have on these behavioral predictions?

If there is a core motivator, it is the pie--everything that follows would be the effect of this primary cause.
Out of curiosity how will knowledge of the prospect's core motivator help salespeople address customer indifference and/or facilitate customer change? - by Jeff Blackwell
Out of curiosity what impact do personal wants, values and beliefs have on these behavioral predictions?
Profiling tests only register observables. That is, if the test asks, "are you generous," you will observe what you did in the past. If the test asks how you feel about an issue, it is your opinion of yourself which is another observable.

Everything you observe however is the EFFECT of a prior CAUSE.

The observable wants, values, and beliefs are tethered to a core virtue. In fact what makes you angry and what makes you happy are actually two radical forms a single primary motivator.

For example, if you are after physical results instead of abstract results, I will describe what my product or service can do. That is where predictability comes into play.

Out of curiosity how will knowledge of the prospect's core motivator help salespeople address customer indifference and/or facilitate customer change?
The core motivator is everything. If I know that you are motivated by Harmonic Balance for example, and If you are convinced that my product or service will enhance your motivator--we have a sale.

Jeff, you are doing this now. This is why a sales rep and prospect can talk golf, completely ignoring what is for sale, and sign papers at the end of the story.

Lastly, how you are consists of beliefs and values. A doctor cannot take a slice of your brain out and under a microscope and see that you like boating or playing chess. - by John Voris
The following quote seemed appropriate:

"There is no way to identify the one "true" decision-making process that exists in all organizational buying decision processes. Furthermore, it is most likely that such a universal decision-making process does not exist-primarily because of differences in organizational characteristics, the people who are involved in the various stages, the given buying situation, and the importance of the task.

These and other differences suggest that every organization might have an idiosyncratic set of buying decision processes, which again might vary from one purchase situation to another. If this is the case, it seems that attempts to identify a general decision-making process are bound to be fruitless."
-Webster Jr. & Wind
- by Community Mailbox
The following quote seemed appropriate:

A Universal Process generating a formula, can direct and anticipate the result of any number of decision-making processes when subsumed under greater categories of the Universal.

Nature offers many Universal Processes such as the cycles of plant development. Now, no one can accurately predict exactly what it will look like but is that necessary in daily life? What we need to know is how large will a certain specie of tree grow before planting it next to our house.

If the Universal formula for choosing was based on available options for the expression of human individuality, how that is to be expressed is not relevant though the end result is very important.

Or, the "...differences in organizational characteristics, the people who are involved in the various stages, ... given the buying situation, and the importance of the task," becomes irrelevant.

"These and other differences suggest that every organization might have an idiosyncratic set of buying decision processes, which again might vary from one purchase situation to another. If this is the case, it seems that attempts to identify a general decision-making process are bound to be fruitless."

Every organization that has an idiosyncratic set of buying decision processes, represent the Effect of behavior and not the transcending Cause which we are after.

There are many ways for a baseball pitcher to 1) hold a baseball and 2) how to through it.

Prior to the release, it is the Abstract Identity or the state of being of the pitcher, that generates the "idiosyncratic" cluster of available choices of pitch. The actual choice is an extension of this inner Abstract decision making, followed by the physical manifestation of that choice.

The release of the ball then demonstrates the Physical Cause of the ball's flight-behavior, following the Abstract decision making process.

Once in flight, only this Physical Effect of the throw can now be registered.

It is a matter of universal scope. Focusing the decision-making process is too narrow and irrelevant.

Sorry for this response coming across rather convoluted but there are not many other ways to explain this and retain integrity. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.