Home > Resistance > Customer Objections

Customer Objections

My boss sent us this video this morning.

http://frameshiftcoaching.wordpress.com/2011/01/22/i-dont-care/

The language gets a little intense about a minute in (nothing we haven't all heard before), but it presented a valuable situational learning point. How does the experienced salesman handle this situation: one in which the customer comes in with a preset idea of what they want (maybe this has a name?), seemingly immovable to better options?

Our B2E company can offer a solution that better fits their needs, but they are so SET on the "iPhone" they won't even open their ears to listen to what we have to offer. - by Kylelovespi
Any serious sales practitioner will immediately observe that the seller keeps blabbing about features and benefits ad infinitum without engaging in any probing process with questions. A simple question like "What do you like about the ipod?" would be a good start. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks Gary,

So where would you go after that? Does this kind of probing create more of a dialogue to build rapport with customer?

How do I put what I find out to best use? I realize this could take a lifetime to convey. - by Kylelovespi
Thanks Gary,

So where would you go after that? Does this kind of probing create more of a dialogue to build rapport with customer?

How do I put what I find out to best use? I realize this could take a lifetime to convey.
I don't like the overused term "rapport." Yes, you must have dialog. In the cartoon scenario the prospect is virtually pushing off from the seller with pure rejection. It is not static. They are distancing in an adversarial mode. They need to both move together in the same direction to get anything accomplished. That direction is navigated by an examination of what the prospect wants and needs and why he wants and needs it. Once they find that common ground, then the seller can--point by point--present the features and benefits that are congruent with the prospect's wants and needs. BUT--always in a questioning mode. CLOSING IS A PROGRESSION OF CONSENT--not an event. - by Gary A Boye
That video is Halarious....

When it comes to companies that have branded themselves so well (Apple, Harley Davidson, Rolex) there is little that can be done as expressed in the cartoon.

I suspect however you may not be up against one of these companies.

A story...
I had a large prospect once that had been with a competitor since the creation of the product (the competition was the original creator)
I had a great relationship with the Decission Maker (so good the DM suggested I go to work for the competition so he could buy from mexerm; )

In the end I grabbed my b*lls and sat down with him and said ok "John" show me.
He looked perplexed.

As many of us were taught early in our sales career "if I say it it's a pitch, if the customer says it- it's the truth"

Find a way to make your customer compare your products/services. If you don't already know it look into the Ben Franklin decission making method, but have the customer create the list.

If your product/service really is better they will see it.

Hope this helps. - by tw5270
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.