Home > Personal Selling > Start up company struggling

Start up company struggling

Hi,

My name is Jeremy and I am having a problem with sales and marketing strategies for a security guard firm. Some approaches would be to mail and email letters about our services. That failed. Then we went about to visit and it became a 'solicitation' issue; we are trying to figure out how to generate leads and able to gain interest from clients that might need security services.

We have professionally written proposals, contracts, and informative packets.

What steps should we take first to get even mom & pop businesses interested. - by fvenom21
Hi,

My name is Jeremy and I am having a problem with sales and marketing strategies for a security guard firm. Some approaches would be to mail and email letters about our services. That failed. Then we went about to visit and it became a 'solicitation' issue; we are trying to figure out how to generate leads and able to gain interest from clients that might need security services.

We have professionally written proposals, contracts, and informative packets.

What steps should we take first to get even mom & pop businesses interested.

Just a few quick thoughts:

First, notice where security guards are and discover why they were needed according to their client account. Often you can walk up to a security guard and just ask or you can be directed to someone who does know.

That information would be used to create a profile of your ideal client for marketing purposes.

Next, contact your local police department and discover the high crime districts. You may be targeting the wrong geographic areas. Also, discover why other areas have less crime.

(What if the lower crime districts have businesses that contract with security services and the others don't? And what if that low district just offers a much higher risk to low rewards ratio?)

You could also talk to writers of your local newspaper. They are more than happy to offer their opinions regarding crime trends.

Then, see how your client profile dovetails into the high/low crime districts areas mentioned by the police.

One last source would be those insurance companies that demand in-house security as a stipulation of theft coverage. You may even make a deal with them.

What if they gave you a list of the type of businesses where this requirement is imposed? That would help you target future clients by business type but more importantly, you may find business owners in your canvassing, who are not aware of being in violation and---there you are!

You now have the seeds of your marketing foundation. As you learn through the process, new discoveries will emerge and your direction may take many turns.

What is most significant is by gathering raw data, you can now canvass with an arsenal of information that new contacts must listen to.

You are no longer selling security to make money
rather
according to
local law enforcement, objective news reporting
and insurance policies and recommendations,

you are in the business to assist your clients in avoiding future potentially catastrophic losses.

- by John Voris
the first thing you need to do is join the local chamber of commerce you need to network with other busness owners and get exposer. trust me thats where half of my contacts and clients come from. Participte in charity functions and offer your services and i guarantee the calls will come flooding in.... - by jmassiatte
Does your product/ service have any USP? If so, what?

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Hi, it's not easy to get started in business. You seem realy organized that is 50% of the business, the other is to sell. You din't mention who was the potential customer. Do you have a business plan? If your customers are peoples you can use any kind of marketing + cold call. If it's B2B, cold call + chamber of commerce, there you must participate in cessions that you will meet people, talk to them, you will be surprised. Surprize them, arrive dressed like a guard, they will know what you do without even taking to you. Then follow up with them. - by FrankB
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.