Home > Education > Warm/Cold Calling & Follow Up- "Unlock the Game" Methodology

Warm/Cold Calling & Follow Up- "Unlock the Game" Methodology

First off, I'm new to the forums so a little about me...

I am not your 'typical' aggressive sales guy. My sales process is a high integrity approach with a high amount of empathy and compassion. I have difficulty pushing myself to be aggressive and I'm not a shark who goes in for the kill. Despite this, I am still one of the fastest growing producers my company has ever seen. My ability to sell is my strongest strength, I am confident on the phone and I have established that my role is that of a closer. I do of course have weaknesses which I have outlined below...

I work for a large equipment financing/leasing/working capital company and my 'cold calling' consists of contacting business owners that we have already spoken to, but have not done business with. Although I'm cold calling they are still warm calls. They typically (not always but usually) know who my company is and a general idea of what we do. We also have such a large database that it is nearly impossible to run out of calls for prospecting.

I am working to incorporate the ideas of the "Unlock the Game" sales process by Ari Galper as it is the essence of how I sell. I am upfront, honest and I let the client know that it will be a low pressure deal.

I have two questions for discussion to try and improve my sales process. For the warm/cold calling I described above what do people feel would be the most efficient way to start the conversation?

Currently I'm straight to the point: "Hi ______ this is Matt from XXX how are you doing? ... Good I know that we had spoken back in "date from notes" about "what we had talked to them about" and you said you "weren't interested or had no needs because". I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any needs for working capital or have any equipment purchases you needed financed.

Any critiques or suggestions on effectiveness for my prospecting calls?

The second thing I need to fix ASAP is my ability to follow up to get paperwork. Often times I will find someone that is interested and has a genuine need. To move forward I either need an application or statements which allow me to secure approval. I try to set a date that I can expect to receive the application and statements and when I receive them by then all is fine and I can close the deal more times than not. My weakness shows when they don't send me the paperwork on the agreed upon date.

I have no problems giving a call to someone soon after they said that they were going to send it to see whats up but usually its just a generic "I got tied up sorry, I'll try to get it to you soon". I try to set a new date or expectation on when I should receive it but often get "I don't know I'm pretty busy I'll try and get it to you by ...".

Following up from there for me is difficult as I feel as I am being too pushy. Do I need to be more aggressive? I have been told by some of my mentors that I should try saying something like "well let me send you my contact information again and you can call me back when you are more serious about getting the funding". I feel like that is against what I try and accomplish but am losing valuable prospecting time because I am chasing people for paperwork.

Every deal that I request paperwork on I have established a genuine need and have qualified it as much as possible. If someone has that genuine need I feel bad about simply killing the deal and moving on. I guess that if they aren't sending me the needed paperwork that the need isn't as strong as I had thought but still have trouble justifying that.

For someone with my sales process what is the best way to handle this situation?

I would love any critique or suggestions. I am open to anything and am striving to grow as much as possible in sales.

Thanks Again,
Matthew Gale - by MatthewJGale
Your script:
"Hi ______ this is Matt from XXX how are you doing? ... Good I know that we had spoken back in "date from notes" about "what we had talked to them about" and you said you "weren't interested or had no needs because". I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any needs for working capital or have any equipment purchases you needed financed."

The words I have put in red bold suggest you ARE a "typical sales aggressive sales guy" (your words). I don't have time to write your script but get rid of those words.

Recontacts, also called follow-ups should always be Promise Generated. If you are not following up on a promise, then start making promises to call back with a purpose. Then when you DO call back, it impresses--it shows you keep your promises. Obviously the real purpose of your call is to see if anything has changed since you last talked.

Do that and you won't sound like an aggressive sales guy anymore. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks for the input.

As far as the script goes how do you feel it best to transition without using the red words? I've been doing a lot of research on writing good sales scripts and I have made some tweaks that I feel are beneficial but still have trouble dropping the red words since they feel so natural. I feel that without them I am the only one talking and that I don't have any good transitions (or should I transition with silence & pauses?).

I've had some good luck with my old script but I imagine that this is somewhat due to the pure nature of my business. Many of the business owners I talk to have a true need and not many available options. Since we have one of the widest approval windows available (imagine getting an unsecured loan even with a 0 credit score) I really don't have much competition. As the economy picks back up I imagine things will get tougher since companies will widen their approval windows. I need to work on improving myself as best as possible to better prepare for when that time comes.

Thanks again,
Matt - by MatthewJGale
Thanks for the input.

As far as the script goes how do you feel it best to transition without using the red words?
Old:
"Hi ______ this is Matt from XXX how are you doing? ... Good I know that we had spoken back in "date from notes" about "what we had talked to them about" and you said you "weren't interested or had no needs because". I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any needs for working capital or have any equipment purchases you needed financed."

New:
"Hi ______ this is Matt from XXX. When we last spoke back in ________ I promised you I would get back to you sometime in _____ . At that time we discussed "what we had talked to them about" and you said you "weren't interested or had no needs because". What, if any, changes have taken place since then regarding needs for working capital?

(Wait for reply. Then..)
What about proposed equipment purchases that could benefit from financing?
"How are you doing?" is not a transition--it's familiar, transparent, and irritating to busy people. It immediately will put most prospects on guard.

"I just wanted to.." is weak and wishy-washy.

"Follow up" should always remain an internal phrase in selling.

One of the things too many people in sales forget is that they always should be prepared with a PROPOSITION. I doubt you would engage a prospect without some sort of unique selling proposition regarding financing. Here's an advanced technique to segue curiosity in your prospect:

"What about proposed equipment purchases that could benefit from financing? I have a reason for asking."

With those last six words, you can reduce immediate and indifferent rejection by 50%.

- by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.