Home > Referrals > Referral-based Selling: All You Have to do is Ask

Referral-based Selling: All You Have to do is Ask

A commonly held belief is that all you have to do is ask for referrals and you will get them. Would you agree? - by Community Mailbox
A commonly held belief is that all you have to do is ask for referrals and you will get them. Would you agree?
In 30 years of cold-call sales, I had only a few handfuls of referrals.

Just because your client buys does not mean he or she knows others who will. This is better than wasting my time calling on a non-buyer.

When you get a referral, often your customer is complying with the request for a referral to appease your relationship, knowing the referred is not a viable prospect.

Referral viability is also dependent on the product or service being sold. Many will listen to friends when getting a mechanic or doctor referral for example but may not be concerned with who they secure a loan from.

Often people do not give referrals because those within his or her circle simply do not like sales people.

In the end, I usually received a "no." - by John Voris
A commonly held belief is that all you have to do is ask for referrals and you will get them. Would you agree?
The question is ambiguous.

If it means that asking an individual for a referral ensures that the person will give you one, the answer would be NO.

If it means maintaining a practice of asking for referrals, certainly you will get some.

I personally do not engage in the practice of asking for referrals. Interestingly, the greater portion of my business for several years has come from referrals.

Why? I make a practice of earning them. And--when I worked for others, if the company could not help me earn referrals from outstanding service, I would choose to no longer work for them.

"Always ask for referrals" is one of the Parrot Platitudes of sales lore. Earn them. You'll make a lot of money. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.