Home > Education > The Changing Face of Professional Selling

The Changing Face of Professional Selling

Do you believe the suggestion that "professional selling is changing so rapidly that the selling skills that got you where you are today will not be sufficient to keep you there" or is that suggestion just another example of the misinformation that is being spread around the sales training industry?

For links to related discussions visit: The Future of Selling - by Community Mailbox
Do you believe the suggestion that "professional selling is changing so rapidly that the selling skills that got you where you are today will not be sufficient to keep you there" or is that suggestion just another example of the misinformation that is being spread around the sales training industry?
It depends on where you are today. If you have been practicing sales at a high level, those skills will be sufficient even if you buy into the notion "that professional selling is changing so rapidly.." - by Gary A Boye
Before I could appraise that suggestion I would need to understand what is meant by "Professional Selling" and which selling skills "got you where you are today".

The following definition for Selling was recently posted:
  • To sell is to find out what the customer is trying to accomplish and assist him/her in making a change and/or achieving his/her desired outcome.
What part of that (Selling) do you see rapidly changing? - by Jeff Blackwell
Before I could appraise that suggestion I would need to understand what is meant by "Professional Selling" and which selling skills "got you where you are today".

The following definition for Selling was recently posted:
  • To sell is to find out what the customer is trying to accomplish and assist him/her in making a change and/or achieving his/her desired outcome.
What part of that (Selling) do you see rapidly changing?
That definition is insufficient, in my opinion. Historically, the function of LOCATING potential customers and/or prospects for assistance has been a significant part of the business practice we call selling. Venues for such "locating" have evolved in the last decades and will probably continue to evolve.

The original question was about "skills." Certainly one important skill is adaptability to change. That said, even with an expanded definition as I have suggested, holistic and comprehensive skill levels (including aforementioned adaptability) will see most truly accomplished sales practitioners through the changes that occur. - by Gary A Boye
The definition quoted was one of several definitions recently posted (See... http://www.salespractice.com/forums/t-11699.html) and should not be taken to be the definitive definition of Selling.

With that being said, it is true that many who sell for a living are tasked with identifying, qualifying and initiating contact with prospects as part of their selling responsibilities so I have no issue with these activities being included in any formal definition of personal selling.

The original question was about "skills." Certainly one important skill is adaptability to change. That said, even with an expanded definition as I have suggested, holistic and comprehensive skill levels (including aforementioned adaptability) will see most truly accomplished sales practitioners through the changes that occur.
In my opinion, the ability to adapt to change has always been a basic skill in both selling and life. The same could be said about the ability to:
  • Acquire, process and apply information.
  • Communicate and interact with others.
  • Manage your own thoughts and behaviors.
It is true that modern technology offers buyers and sellers new and/or improved ways to connect and/or interact. It is also true that modern technology offers buyers and sellers access to data and/or information that previously might have been out of their reach. However, this does not change "What" we are doing (Selling) although in many cases it may change the "How" (e.g.; face-to-face vs. videoconferencing). - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.