Home > Personal Development > What are you pursuing?

What are you pursuing?

Call it what you want; goal striving, chasing down a dream, etc. but it seems like most of the time the people who get on in life are those who get after something that matters to them - something they really want. Does that ring true in your experience? - by Community Mailbox
Call it what you want; goal striving, chasing down a dream, etc. but it seems like most of the time the people who get on in life are those who get after something that matters to them - something they really want. Does that ring true in your experience?
From reading the autobiographies of people admired for their achievements, there was no plan for the bulk of them.

For the others, there was a plan but if not for an intervening event or person, they would have died in obscurity.

In almost all cases, their success was first peppered with a great deal of failure.

Through tenacity, high achievers eventually created their own luck. - by John Voris
My only dream is to be in charge of the path I take to get to where I want to go. - by MPrince
My only dream is to be in charge of the path I take to get to where I want to go.
That is a good dream and I suspect that you are largely living that dream.

I learned a new word recently--"autotelic." It has to do with the concept of "flow" or optimum experience. Basically it references the idea that the joy is in the pursuit itself.

A lot of people, many sales trainers unfortunately among them, talk about "hating" cold calling. But people who are good at it--and achieve their goals with it, also enjoy it.

That's just one minor example. - by Gary A Boye
That is a good dream and I suspect that you are largely living that dream.

I learned a new word recently--"autotelic." It has to do with the concept of "flow" or optimum experience. Basically it references the idea that the joy is in the pursuit itself.

A lot of people, many sales trainers unfortunately among them, talk about "hating" cold calling. But people who are good at it--and achieve their goals with it, also enjoy it.

That's just one minor example.
Gary,

I am living that dream although I have run into lots of detours.

I am aware of how most sales folks hate cold calling and not sure why. I think it is because many can't get over the fear of rejection. But, whatever the reason they are missing out on the single best way of increasing their business. At least that is my opinion! - by MPrince
Gary,

I am living that dream although I have run into lots of detours.

I am aware of how most sales folks hate cold calling and not sure why. I think it is because many can't get over the fear of rejection. But, whatever the reason they are missing out on the single best way of increasing their business. At least that is my opinion!
Fear of rejection--yes that's when you turn a useful verb into a noun and it grows big teeth or horns or something. It's called nominalization by people smarter than me. If they would just turn it back into a verb, they could ask who's doing all this rejecting, and who are they rejecting, and what are they rejecting, and....hey wait a minute, all the person did was say "no" and ..gee whiz, I'm still alive and I don't even hurt. - by Gary A Boye
Call it what you want; goal striving, chasing down a dream, etc. but it seems like most of the time the people who get on in life are those who get after something that matters to them - something they really want. Does that ring true in your experience?
I believe that the mindful pursuit of a desired outcome, and all that entails, can be one of the most rewarding (financial/non-financial) experiences possible. - by Jeff Blackwell
I believe that the mindful pursuit of a desired outcome, and all that entails, can be one of the most rewarding (financial/non-financial) experiences possible.

Jeff, I am not even sure it always has to be with a "desired outcome". I am mostly inclined to agree with Gary. It is the pursuit that is most fulfilling often not even realizing the outcome! - by MPrince
Jeff, I am not even sure it always has to be with a "desired outcome".
If not a "desired outcome" then where are you going and why?

I am mostly inclined to agree with Gary. It is the pursuit that is most fulfilling often not even realizing the outcome!
The rewards one experiences from the mindful pursuit of a desired outcome are not limited to realizing the outcome.

Here is a related quote from "Flow" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi:
"The best moments usually occur when a person's body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile. Optimal experience is thus something that we make happen."
- by Jeff Blackwell
I'm on the pursuit of knowledge and wisdom. I feel as if you can learn something from everybody, so I'll continue to strive to fill in my bookshelf of a brain until I feel as if I know enough about any specific topic that I'm currently not knowledgeable about.(Which will be never, haha.)

I mean sure, I'd enjoy a nice car, a nice house, but in reality those are just wants in my life. If I fulfill my needs and continue to learn then I'm content. - by MoraTheExplora
Mora

All those things you mentioned, nice house, nice car, nice stuff are all something that will come if you have your sights set on the dream you are pursuing. Nice stuff is a way of keeping score. Like you, those "things" are not in my sights, not the most important thing...it is the thrill of the chase. The excitement of every single appointment, cold call, sale or, not a sale. It is the knowledge you gain from life that makes it all worthwhile!

At least that is my opinion! - by MPrince
Mora

All those things you mentioned, nice house, nice car, nice stuff are all something that will come if you have your sights set on the dream you are pursuing. Nice stuff is a way of keeping score. Like you, those "things" are not in my sights, not the most important thing...it is the thrill of the chase. The excitement of every single appointment, cold call, sale or, not a sale. It is the knowledge you gain from life that makes it all worthwhile!

At least that is my opinion!

I completely concur. I just never really looked at it in that specific perspective. I enjoy the excitement of every single appointment, cold call, sale or no sale, regardless of my dream. I simply just enjoy interacting with individuals. I guess, what I was trying to say was that those, "things," will come with time, determination and whether it's reasonable for my budget. Like you said though, the knowledge gained definitely makes it all worthwhile. - by MoraTheExplora
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.