Home > Closing > Assumptive Close

Assumptive Close

Please post your scripts for: "Assumptive Close." - by Jeff Blackwell
Congratulations on your order. What is your middle initial? Do you know your social security number by heart? etc. - by klozerking
With that being said john I have your adress at so and so and what is your date of birth? - by faithbeme
A "Close" and a closing question are not the same thing. I point this out because of the responses so far.

Closing is a progression of consent which certainly would imply that a series of questions would take place along the way.

However, an "assumptive close" still has to be constructed as the aforementioned progression. It would follow then that those questions would align with the prospect gradually taking ownership by agreeing to such things as facilitation, deliveries, special needs, terms, etc.

Asking for a social security number, date of birth, etc., does not close a sale. It merely buttons up a close that has taken place by the progression of consent.

Unfortunately the distinction is not taught in many sales "training" venues. - by Gary A Boye
Does it reflect in your attitude, for instance? Do you view it as a game of seduction?
I believe an "Assumptive Close" is like a self-fulling prophecy. If I believe it I am going to act as if it is true. Not pushy...just humbly confident. At least that is my opinion. - by MPrince
I always thought of the assumptive close like this... People come to you to benefit from what you have to offer. You determine their needs, begin to build rapport while listening, and assume that they want the product. It's providing good customer service. - by TDeveloperA
I always thought of the assumptive close like this... People come to you to benefit from what you have to offer. You determine their needs, begin to build rapport while listening, and assume that they want the product. It's providing good customer service.
Certainly what you describe often takes place in retail or service provider industries. I don't think it represents "assumptive close."

The buyer ALWAYS controls the buying.

I'll share my own experience here. I have had an inordinately high conversion rate throughout my career. I have NEVER assumed a close. I have NEVER taken for granted a sale until I wrote it.

What I do assume, rightly so, is that I know what I'm doing. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.