Home > Cold Calling > Why Cold Calling is the Bottom of the Barrel

Why Cold Calling is the Bottom of the Barrel

Here are a few excerpts from a blog post I found today titled, "Why Cold Calling is the Bottom of the Barrel":

Regardless of what level in a sales group you fall into, cold calling is a cloud hovering over your head. If you’re the VP of Sales, you’re getting these calls several times a week. If you are the Account Manager then you have a set number of calls to make or a list of companies you should be “hunting”. In either of these scenarios, the call is never appreciated. Getting interrupted or interrupting someone else is always the result.
Outbound calling to a person that has never heard of you or your product is just about as likely to buy your widget as they are the Brooklyn Bridge. You have to build trust.
If customers want information they will search you out or at least leave digital breadcrumbs of questions or conversations that you can find and then engage.
Do you believe that cold calling is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding new customers? - by Community Mailbox
Here are a few excerpts from a blog post I found today titled, "Why Cold Calling is the Bottom of the Barrel":

Do you believe that cold calling is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding new customers?

Imagine standing in front of a burning house with firefighters working feverishly trying to put out the flames.

Now image a fireman calmly leaning against a telephone pole, standing on the sidewalk in full firefighting dress, watching his comrades battle the fire.

You walk up to him and ask, " What are you doing here. Why aren't you helping them?"

The fireman replies," I don't want to get burned, would you?"

If you want "to be" a firefighter, there will be putting out fires and saving lives just as injuries and maybe death.

If you want "to be" a professional basketball player, you get the cheers but also the derogatory remarks. For every hour playing basketball there is 4 hours of practice.

You don't decide what part of what it means "to be" anything. If you do--your not!

You don't decide "to be" a cop then refuse to go down an alley where a suspected robber may be, from fear that he or she may throw something at you.

How about, "I want to be an accountant but I don't like sitting for long periods of time."

You get the point.

Regardless of what you want "to be" in life it is a complete package, you can't start eliminating what you don't like.

Now, image a sales agent saying, "Oh, I like sales. It's just meeting new people that drives me crazy."

Cold-calling is part of what it means "to be" a sales rep and should never be separated.

There is no "bottom of the barrel," just a barrel. - by John Voris
Do you believe that cold calling is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding new customers?
Whether or not cold calling is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding new customers will depend on the situation. It is quite possible that in some situations cold calling is the method of choice for finding new customers and vice versa.

All of the comments quoted in the original post are "Generalizations" and should be recognized and treated as such. - by Jeff Blackwell
Whether or not cold calling is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to finding new customers will depend on the situation. It is quite possible that in some situations cold calling is the method of choice for finding new customers and vice versa.

All of the comments quoted in the original post are "Generalizations" and should be recognized and treated as such.

Hey Jeff,

Understood!

I cold-called for 30 years but the product dictated my method of marketing.

Notice that many professions like doctors and dentists never cold-call and never worry about patients walking in the door.

While most sales reps get referrals, I have never known anyone who never cold-called. That must be very rare. - by John Voris
I do not.
  • Cold calling can very effective for salespeople who excel at it.
  • The vast majority of people who are cold calling do not excel at it.
  • A major reason for the aforementioned vast majority's failure to excel at cold calling is the fact that cold calling in many companies is assigned routinely to entry level inexperienced novices. In other words, companies delegate work that takes a high skill level to people who have no idea what they are doing. In effect, the brain trust is using an inappropriate boot camp model. It's always easier to shift blame to people rather than to faulty systems.
  • The best of the best in cold calling enjoy the activity--just like the best of the best in most endeavors in life.
  • Better training modeled ONLY from successful cold calling, increases the viability of cold calling.
  • Selective recruiting increases the viability of cold calling.
- by Gary A Boye
The bottom of the barrel is where you find the gold. - by Outerspace
If customers want information they will search you out or at least leave digital breadcrumbs of questions or conversations that you can find and then engage.
Think of how many sales take place where the customer was not aware of a product or a need for it. - by Danomyte
I do not.
  • Cold calling can very effective for salespeople who excel at it.
  • The vast majority of people who are cold calling do not excel at it.
Do you have any suggestions for those of us that DO NOT excel at it to become better? I read many blogs/articles and books, but still struggle. Can you recommend any resources? - by Danomyte
Most people do not understand how to "master the welcome" and sound like everyone else who calls. Everyone knows you can save them money, time, turmoil, blah blah blah. They have heard it before. Try to stand out and be different. Tell the truth:

"I know I'm calling out of the blue and sometimes I have to do this when I don't have a relationship with anyone inside the company.

Most of my relationships are word of mouth but it has been suggested etc, etc, etc"

I have developed this "welcome" for a Fortune 5 advertising firm that skyrocketed appointment set ratios from 1 in 23 to 1 in 8.

Wishing you continued success.

Best,
Brad - by Brad Gaines
Do you have any suggestions for those of us that DO NOT excel at it to become better? Can you recommend any resources?
IMO, SalesPractice.com is an excellent resource to get answers and insights into effective cold calling. At SalesPractice.com you can interact with rare sales minds like Gary Boye who has enjoyed decades of high level sales success.

I read many blogs/articles and books, but still struggle.
In our search for websites offering information about sales and selling we discovered that much of the information is incomplete, untrue and/or inaccurate. When working from misinformation, lack of information and/or inaccurate interpretation of information you run the risk of misunderstandings and erroneous conclusions resulting in faulty decisions, poor choices and potentially negative consequences. - by Jeff Blackwell
"
Cold-calling is part of what it means "to be" a sales rep and should never be separated.

There is no "bottom of the barrel," just a barrel.
These are the most inspiring words I heard in a long time about cold calling.

I found this forum while learning things that have to do with cold calling. - by SEOmarketing
These are the most inspiring words I heard in a long time about cold calling.

I found this forum while learning things that have to do with cold calling.
I am glad you found it useful. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.