Home > Closing > Balance Sheet / Ben Franklin Close

Balance Sheet / Ben Franklin Close

Please post your scripts for: "Balance Sheet Close" aka "Ben Franklin Close". - by Jeff Blackwell
This has got to be a great close because it is very visual. I will subscribe to this in hopes of getting examples. - by Mr. Mike
Rather than a script, I'll describe the process.

The Ben Franklin Close is intended for use with prospects who are having a tough time moving forward with a commitment. The popular version in traditional sales training has he salesperson, generally with permission, use a "paper talk". A blank sheet of paper is introduced and a line is drawn down the middle. The salesperson asks the prospect to participate in listing the benefits of making a purchase now on the left column. The salesperson prompts most of the entries until the benefits are exhausted and the column quite full. Then the process is repeated, listing the reasons AGAINST in the right hand column. But the salesperson offers little assistance, leaving the prospect alone to list the reasons to not buy.

Obviously the objective is for the left-hand column to weigh heavily against the right-hand column.

This "close" has its following and its detractors. The main objection to its usage has been that it seems transparent. However, most popular "closes" have been subjected to the same criticism. The success of the closes is dependent on skill and "arrangement" much like a musical composition.

A few years ago, GMAC, in an effort to increase the leasing market and perceived higher profitability, introduced their A-B Comparison sheet, and held training classes at dealerships. It certainly was based on The Ben Franklin Close. The columns compared leasing against buying. The top sales pros were able to adopt the concept and present it in a less hokey, more conversational manner, and their use of the tool was successful. The less experienced and less skillful struggled in most cases, never able to present it in a more natural manner. That is very common in sales.

I hope the above is helpful to those unfamiliar with the tactic. - by Ace Coldiron
I use the method on people all the time even when I'm not selling, but simply looking to INFLUENCE them for their own good when they're not understanding that they would be making a mistake taking the path on which they currently have momentum.

Salesguy: "Herb, I know you want to buy that more expensive brand of beer, and I can understand why, butcha-know, it reminds me of a friend of mine - a great patriot by the name of Ben Franklin. And when ole Ben was all tied up in knots about which brand of beer to buy for the Monday Night Football bash, he'd break out a sheet of paper just like this and he'd draw a line right down the middle, see. Then, on one side, he'd write out all the reasons why he should consider the Really Expensive Six-Pack Competitor Brand A, and then on the other side he'd write down all the great reasons to take home My Cheap Swill Brand B. And when he added up all the reasons, whichever one had more, well, that's the one he'd pick - sounds reasonable, right? Well, let's take a look at that expensive beer and talk about the two reasons you might want to buy it, and then we'll write down the thirty-two reasons why you should by My Cheap Swill Brand B, sound good? Attaboy!"

Salesguy: "Now, Herb, as you can plainly see, the you've got a whole truckload more reasons (with YOUR limited budget) to choose My Cheap Swill Brand B; but, YOU'RE the boss, my good friend, so you tell me which one makes the most sense <<<as I circle my brand>>>"

Herb: "By dangy, I like Cheap Swill Brand B for my pocketbook!"

Salesguy: "Attaboy, Herb! You bought yourself some Cheap Swill! Put 'er there, pal!" <<<sparkling teeth a-shining>>> - by DynamicMentalFitness
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.