Home > Personal Development > Attitude Adjustment

Attitude Adjustment

Much has been written about "Attitude" in books on selling. In the big scheme of things how much importance do you place on the attitude of the buyer and/or the seller?

Attitude: a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways.
- by Community Mailbox
I can explain my opinion on "Attitude Adjustment" like this;

My youngest son was one of the best baseball players I have ever seen. At thirteen years old he could throw a baseball ninety miles an hour. My constant message to him was, "Son, you can have all the talent and ability in the world but, those things are not worth a hill of beans without the "right attitude." - by MPrince
Much has been written about "Attitude" in books on selling. In the big scheme of things how much importance do you place on the attitude of the buyer and/or the seller?
(a.) Some have defined "Attitude" as "a hypothetical construct that represents an individual's degree of like or dislike for something. Attitudes are generally positive or negative views of a person, place, thing, or event."

(b.) Some have defined "Attitude" as "a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways."

Based on how the question is worded I take it that the latter definition or something similar is being referred to. Given that to be the case, I would suggest that the attitude of the buyer and/or seller is of the up-most importance. With that being said, I find the "Frames" which the attitude comes from and expresses to be of more importance.

Here is a quote from "Frame Games" by L. Michael Hall that addresses "Frames":
"Our frames establish the way we look at something and so creates our perspectives. By constructing our representations of things in a certain frame, we format and structure that information. This gives us the ability to highlight and foreground some things, and to foreground and shadow other things. By framing we organize our mental world and punctuate when and where things begin and end. By framing we establish the borders of concepts, processes and experiences. This determines how much influence we allow an idea or experience. It creates the constraints, limitations, and expansiveness of our thoughts and emotions. Frames control how and what we focus attention on. In all of these ways, frames exercise tremendous influence on what and how we see in responding to people and situations."

My youngest son was one of the best baseball players I have ever seen. At thirteen years old he could throw a baseball ninety miles an hour. My constant message to him was, "Son, you can have all the talent and ability in the world but, those things are not worth a hill of beans without the "right attitude."

Well said! thmbp2; - by John Voris
"Son, you can have all the talent and ability in the world but, those things are not worth a hill of beans without the "right attitude."
How would you describe a "right attitude"? - by Jeff Blackwell
How would you describe a "right attitude"?
I would explain the right attitude like this;

Respect...respect for your superiors, respect for your peers, respect for the game, respect for the people in your life, respect for your talent and ability, respect for your surroundings.

Respect is something you earn, it is not free. You earn it by first giving it. If you have a negative attitude negativity is exactly what you will get in return, no matter who you are or what you abilities are. If a bad or negative attitude is what you give that is what you will get and it will spread like a cancer to the people you are associated with.

Too whom much is given, much is required.

At least that is my opinion - by MPrince
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.