Home > Interview > The Psychology of Disqualifying

The Psychology of Disqualifying

Is there a psychological advantage gained from disqualifying a prospect? What are your thoughts? - by Gary A Boye
Is there a psychological advantage gained from disqualifying a prospect? What are your thoughts?
Can you clarify what you mean by a 'psychological advantage'? Thank you. - by salesjunior
Can you clarify what you mean by a 'psychological advantage'? Thank you.
I prefer to let the two common words stand as is. - by Gary A Boye
Hi Gary

Just joined this forum.

Have seen a few of your other posts and like what you write.

To your question I believe the answer is yes. My reasons are:

1. Somewhere in the customers brain will be the thought 'Ok, this guy is not desparate for work'

2. That means that he is confident in what his product/service will do and therefore knows that he will get customers. Can I join the club?

3. A prospect will then maybe start mentally saying to him/herself 'That's me, that's me, that's me etc' until realising that he does qualify and can be your customer.

I think that from that point he/she would feel that you are working towards a determined goal in partnership.

It also means that if the customer doesn't qualify he/she will appreciate your not wasting their time and therefore be more susceptible to the idea of you making a follow up call in 6 months to see if circumstances have changed or they may call you prior to that themselves.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards
Dan

PS: I am newish to sales (7 years) and consider myself to be at toddler stage now. It's great to have this resource to learn from the teenagers, adults and especially the wise old men! - by danno
danno, I think you have expressed in your own words some of the thoughts that were on my mind before I posted the question. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.