Home > Personal Development > Learning new skills

Learning new skills

What is the best way to learn new sales and behavioral skills conducive to success in selling? I know there are many skills top salespeople must master, and it requires lots of effort and persistence, and I was curious as to how those skills go from being a concept to a natural part of a person's behaviour.

I read somewhere top salespeople learn new skills one skill at a time, rather than try to learn them all at once, which changed my thinking on the matter and now I have a more confident attitude to learning new skills. - by salesjunior
Hi Salesjunior,
Thanks for the post; as a newbie to the forum, I would like some input regarding this question as well. And if I could, modify/add to the question to inlcude: are the three day intesive selling workshops worth the time and money - or is it better to get longer term coaching. For my personal situation, I have been in BD selling clinical research services for 8 years with off and on success and I am looking to improve a variety of skills from cold calling to lead qualification, to closing, etc.

Many Thanks,
--D - by dlytle1
I'll share with you an acronym I coined for my own contributions to sales education: GIP

GIP is an easy way to remember "Getting It Plateau."

The idea is to learn a concept one at a time and assimilate it--make it yours (Get it!). Lay the foundation one piece at a time.

Wherever you are right now, and whatever things you already know that work are things to keep, use, and nurture. Build on those things--don't stray, as so many people do, by looking for a magic bullet. Stay focused on what you have and add, rather than substitute, new pieces to your personal development program.

Raise your plateaus and keep what you have learned.

That is the mindset of Incremental Learning that will take you far in sales--or in anything else. - by Gary A Boye
Thanks Gary. What would you say are the most important skills, especially for a newbie, to learn? There's are so many skills, dozens and dozens, and it's challenging to figure out the most important one's from the least important ones. Is there a book or website that provides guidelines on this subject? - by salesjunior
Thanks Gary. What would you say are the most important skills, especially for a newbie, to learn? There's are so many skills, dozens and dozens, and it's challenging to figure out the most important one's from the least important ones. Is there a book or website that provides guidelines on this subject?
Well, first I'll answer your last question which, interestingly, pertains to your first question. LEARNING is a skill, and an even more important skill is LEARNING HOW TO LEARN. You're asking if there is a book or web site on the subject of skills in selling. What do you think SalesPractice is all about? Use the SEARCH here. You should be doing it yourself. Use Google. Do YOUR research--it's part of your job--not our job.

Now to the most important skill in selling. It's called PREPAREDNESS.

Good luck. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.