Home > Approach > Likability

Likability

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum, and honestly I'm pretty excited about this. I'm still a novice in sales, but am very passionate about learning the trade and look forward to learning much on this site. Hopefully, I'll be able to make some contributions as well.

This question gets a bit personal and beyond selling - yet very relevant to selling. It's not as applicable to telephone selling, which is what I do, but I want to start practicing for face-to-face meetings.

How does one practice being more likable? How do I judge my own likability? Is charisma something that can be developed?

I'm a decently likable, outgoing guy... But if there's anyway to improve on this through practice, I'd love to know. I think it's something that would contribute to the overall quality of life, as well as my adventures in selling.

Any thoughts? - by Danomyte
There has never been a better text on the subject than Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. - by Gary A Boye
There has never been a better text on the subject than Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People.
Thanks Gary! Getting it now from Amazon. - by Danomyte
Be yourself, don't be fake or over excited about your product. Be genuine and enthusiastic about solving your clients problem or exploiting an opportunity they may have.

Having said that i think its more important to go for respect and credibility than to be liked. After all you have more control over being credible and some people just wont like you.

To be viewed as genuine and credible is, in my opinion, more important than being liked.

Good luck,
Tony - by Tony Dunne
Danomyte,

I totally agree with Gary on this.thmbp2; Dale Carnegie is a master at relaying a Rock-Solid message. I actually gift copies of How to Win Friends and Influence People to ANY new sales go-getter that I mentor. It is a must have for all of my sales team members.

I also agree with Snowman with regards to "respect and credibility". I'd add a couple of "no-brainers":

1. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER Lie to a prospect (Did I mention "Never?)

2. NEVER (X4) Bad-mouth your competition. Don't take that wrong... It is OK to show how your product and your company have a superior product/service over your competition, but keep it professional and avoid any mud-slinging.

By adding those two rules in, you will gain both credibility and respect from your prospect. This also goes a long way when you ask for a referral. I mean, who wants to refer a lying mud-slinger to a fellow business owner?

Sales is an AWESOME career field and can be both extremely challenging and extremely rewarding. Be patient, press on when you are discouraged, and hone your craft by reading great authors, such as Dale Carnegie, on the topic of sales. - by rgp3man
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.