Home > Cold Calling > Success with Poor Scripts

Success with Poor Scripts

Interesting case with my coworkers... This is more me venting, but it seems they make all the moves that are advised against in cold calling:

1) "I'm just following up to..."
2) "Is this a good time?"
3) NO VALUE PROPOSITION

I guess this goes to show the difference skill makes (or in their case, natural talent), since I feel like I don't do the above and have a decent script, yet am doing mediocre (right in the middle).

The most frustrating part is, I actually spend time studying sales/cold calling skills. I know for a fact that these guys don't. Maybe I'm trying too hard? - by Danomyte
Interesting case with my coworkers... This is more me venting, but it seems they make all the moves that are advised against in cold calling:

1) "I'm just following up to..."
2) "Is this a good time?"
3) NO VALUE PROPOSITION

I guess this goes to show the difference skill makes (or in their case, natural talent), since I feel like I don't do the above and have a decent script, yet am doing mediocre (right in the middle).

The most frustrating part is, I actually spend time studying sales/cold calling skills. I know for a fact that these guys don't. Maybe I'm trying too hard?
Cold-calling is about being yourself and being straight with people. How you do that is up to you.

I know of great salespeople who never went through a sales seminar, workshop, or ever picked up a book on sales.

When you read a script that does not resonate with who you are, the listener has a great chance to catch it. When that happens, you sound insincere. That is deadly.

So, a sales person can violate every rule in sales and be successful. And, a sales person can embrace every rule in sales and never make quota. Its not just about what you say, as much as your authenticity when you say it. - by John Voris
Cold-calling is about being yourself and being straight with people. How you do that is up to you.

I know of great salespeople who never went through a sales seminar, workshop, or ever picked up a book on sales.

When you read a script that does not resonate with who you are, the listener has a great chance to catch it. When that happens, you sound insincere. That is deadly.

So, a sales person can violate every rule in sales and be successful. And, a sales person can embrace every rule in sales and never make quota. Its not just about what you say, as much as your authenticity when you say it.
Thank you for the awesome response John. You make an excellent point. Guess I've been so wrapped up in the do's and don'ts from authors that I've had a hard time sounding natural, relaxed and confident, which I agree is most important.

After your response, I've redrafted by opener and practiced it for a little while with a recorder. I've massaged it to where I feel comfortable with the flow. We'll sse howit goes.

Thanks again! - by Danomyte
Thank you for the awesome response John. You make an excellent point. Guess I've been so wrapped up in the do's and don'ts from authors that I've had a hard time sounding natural, relaxed and confident, which I agree is most important.

After your response, I've redrafted by opener and practiced it for a little while with a recorder. I've massaged it to where I feel comfortable with the flow. We'll sse howit goes.

Thanks again!
I'm glade I was of some help.

Also notice that when you are natural, enthusiasm becomes natural as well. So many aspects of sales begin to flow together. You soon slip into a "knowing what to say" next rather than a "guessing what to say." That is very Powerful. - by John Voris
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.