Home > Personal Selling > Should you take REJECTION personally?

Should you take REJECTION personally?

I have a question...

...but here's the deal.

Before you answer, please forget everything you've been told about this, everything some sales trainer said, what some book advised, or, what your boss told you. Answer it from deep down where you REALLY believe---HONESTLY.

Here's the question:

Should you take REJECTION personal? - by Gary A Boye
Gary this is a really good question. If I may I would like to break this down into 2 parts.

In my personal life I do take rejection personally. The reason I do the rejection is coming from my loved ones and close friends. It hurts emotionally to realize and understand I have done something that is unappealing or have hurt someone that I care for a lot. It forces me to rethink and re-evaluate my position. I would have to say in my personal life yes to your question.

Professionally I used to allow rejection to affect me personally. I wondered why the person did not like me enough to follow my suggestion. It took years to understand that personally I was not the object of the rejection. Books, peers, trainers, and mentors all told me this however none of their words seem to convince me this was true. It was only after I discovered it was my communication with people that changed my perception. It was only after I realized this that I was able to do something about the way I felt and able to learn from my mistakes with communication. Deep down today I would say no to this question concerning my professional life. - by rich34232
Rich, that sounds like an honest answer to an honest question. Thanks for sharing. - by Gary A Boye
I'm sure some rejection is personal. I've rejected some sales people before because they seemed either rude, disinterested, seemed desperate or exerted too much pressure. I'm sure I've been rejected for similar reasons in the past. Does that mean we should take rejection personally? Perhaps this introspection will help us to become more self aware so we can improve ourselves, or it could get us down and make us feel depressed - like there is something fundamentally wrong with us.

I think once you master certain skills and get to a high level in selling and communication, rejection becomes less personal and more to do with timing, price, need etc, or perhaps just because your competitor was better than you were. - by salesjunior
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.