Home > Personal Development > Outcome Centric Selling

Outcome Centric Selling

I was involved in a conversation recently concerning the topic of "Outcome Centric Selling"; defined as the focusing and directing of resources on and towards the achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's.

What advantages do you see in personal selling and personal success to such an outcome-oriented mindset? - by Jeff Blackwell
As you and I have recently discussed, the term could have different meanings depending on context.

My first thought, as I mentioned, was that it implied Intention, a word I capitalize because Intention can have enormous power in manifesting desired outcome, even when the path to that outcome is not initially clear.

That said, I can see the other context, and, the best way to describe it might have the word "isolate."

What I mean by that is that something called "Outcome Centric Selling" could certainly refer to a selling process, or more accurately, a buying/selling process, where the focus is on determining, and then isolating, what the prospective buyer WANTS. That process would then continue, and hopefully flow, into a stage of facilitating that outcome. - by Gary A Boye
I was involved in a conversation recently concerning the topic of "Outcome Centric Selling"; defined as the focusing and directing of resources on and towards the achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's.

What advantages do you see in personal selling and personal success to such an outcome-oriented mindset?
From my experience implimenting this approach is a major reason why people leave sales.

To focus on an idea is to ignore the humanity standing before you. As a prospect, I have felt as having no more importance than being a conduit for the agent's next car payment.

This style has severely damaged the dignity in car sales. The agent rolls over the prospect's concerns and objections.

On a business to business level, this method has a greater chance of working because the prospect has had experience with this approach. He or she may truly need the commodity being sold and is willing to tolerate any behavior.

Whenever I took this "Outcome Centric Selling" approach in my novice years, I lost the sale. I not only lost the sale but was asked to leave.

Someone may say I did it wrong. Regardless, it was an approach that did not conform to who I am. - by John Voris
From my experience implimenting this approach is a major reason why people leave sales.

To focus on an idea is to ignore the humanity standing before you. As a prospect, I have felt as having no more importance than being a conduit for the agent's next car payment.

This style has severely damaged the dignity in car sales. The agent rolls over the prospect's concerns and objections.

On a business to business level, this method has a greater chance of working because the prospect has had experience with this approach. He or she may truly need the commodity being sold and is willing to tolerate any behavior.

Whenever I took this "Outcome Centric Selling" approach in my novice years, I lost the sale. I not only lost the sale but was asked to leave.

Someone may say I did it wrong. Regardless, it was an approach that did not conform to who I am.
John, this could be another interpretation issue. What I mean is that Jeff and I were viewing from two separate contexts. Your interpretation may have introduced a third.

How would you describe the behavior of someone selling from a Outcome Centric Selling Model?

It would be great if we could all meet at the same place on this. - by Gary A Boye
John, this could be another interpretation issue. What I mean is that Jeff and I were viewing from two separate contexts. Your interpretation may have introduced a third.

How would you describe the behavior of someone selling from a Outcome Centric Selling Model?

It would be great if we could all meet at the same place on this.
Does this get us closer?

This seems to involve issues of criteria reference, process of manifested intent, and prospect interpretation.

The criteria of reference and process of intent are both internal mental states hidden from the prospect. Outcome Centric Selling here, can determine and "isolate" what the prospect wants and through logical extension, continue into a positive conforming result.

My criteria of reference was from the prospect's view when this process extends beyond the mental into the actual. When the prospect senses the "Outcome Centric" mind of the agent, repulsion is likely.

With this said, for me we are on the same page, just different paragraphs. - by John Voris
John, I was leaning heavily on Jeff's words in the initial post:
.."towards the achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's."
- by Gary A Boye
John, I was leaning heavily on Jeff's words in the initial post:
.."towards the achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's."
Gary,

I was taught Outcome Selling by a Rainbow vacuum sales rep in 1974. He was in his 50's when I met him.

He did not use the term "Outcome Selling," but the meaning was the same. The process would move from the discussed results backwards demanding the prospect to adhere to solid logic.

This approach worked as long as the product was physical and it delivered physical results. The transparency of the process from beginning to end is obvious to the agent and customer. The reason? Unadulterated physical results from a physical beginning, demands rational thinking. The journey was easy.

Selling Life Insurance brought in emotional and often irrational thinking and I dropped this approach. The real intent of the prospect was often hidden, having me project what their desired result should be.

And, once the product was sold, there was nothing to do but deliver the policy, explain the coverage, and the claim process.The final result, submitting the claim was far into the distance and out of our control.

So, to secure "achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's," for me, would be ideal but how often is this possible? Does this method deliver consistent positive results? How many have used and abandoned this approach do to the inherent difficulty?

Gary, I also found leverage from your statement below:

"...it implied Intention, a word I capitalize because Intention can have enormous power in manifesting desired outcome, even when the path to that outcome is not initially clear."

You touched on a common problem which stems from assuming the intended result was accurately described. Intention does have enormous power often bringing about a false projected outcome. - by John Voris
So, to secure "achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's," for me, would be ideal but how often is this possible?
John, it IS possible, and that possibility exists in a realm where the best of the best in sales have distanced themselves from the norm.

Mastery in sales is a worthwhile pursuit and the road to get there is not crowded. We can discuss in this learning experience either the trials and tribulations of the average, or, we can talk about the great differentiators that make top performers top performers. I prefer the latter. To use your word, I prefer ideal. - by Gary A Boye
John, it IS possible, and that possibility exists in a realm where the best of the best in sales have distanced themselves from the norm.

Mastery in sales is a worthwhile pursuit and the road to get there is not crowded. We can discuss in this learning experience either the trials and tribulations of the average, or, we can talk about the great differentiators that make top performers top performers. I prefer the latter. To use your word, I prefer ideal.
Ah--yes! I asked, "...how often is this possible?' Not that it was impossible.

Mastery in sales can generate the ideal dynamics. But what makes top performers is usually time and experience. If "Outcome Selling" was taught to only those with greater than normative experience, then I agree completely, if maximum efficiency is the target.

However, the trials and tribulations of sales are often discussed here among those who have not as yet achieved top performance and Mastery. This state demands our attention as well if growth toward excellence is expected. - by John Voris
However, the trials and tribulations of sales are often discussed here among those who have not as yet achieved top performance and Mastery. This state demands our attention as well if growth toward excellence is expected.
I agree, John. And the best question on the table, towards that end, should always be: What does excellence in selling look like? - by Gary A Boye
As mentioned previously Outcome Centric Selling was defined as the focusing and directing of resources on and towards the achievement of a desired outcome - both the Seller's and the Buyer's.

IMO, this concept is pregnant with possibilities! Before we go too much farther allow me to share the meanings I am referencing for the following terms:
  • Focusing (Concentrating attention or activity on "some thing".)
  • Directing (Intend "some thing".)
  • Resources (e.g., One's personal attributes and capabilities.)
  • Towards (Motivational pattern marked by seeking to accomplish or achieve "some thing".)
  • Achievement (The action of accomplishing "some thing".)
  • Desired (A strong feeling of wanting to have "some thing".)
  • Outcome - References "some thing" (i.e., resulting state of being).
In my opinion, each of the ideas listed above are key factors in personal selling and personal success.

As for advantages... one of the most important in my opinion is the flexibility implied by such a model, which is needed in the dynamic interactions experienced in personal selling, yet by their vary nature ignored by static sales models. - by Jeff Blackwell
What does excellence in selling look like?
Excellent question. In the context of my previous post I would suggest that the answer to this question becomes more evident when the desired outcome sought by the Seller references the Buyer's subjective "Buying Experience" and "Exchange of Value". - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.