Home > Interview > The test of a great sales person is to find a need.

The test of a great sales person is to find a need.

Do you believe the test of a great sales person is to find a need? - by Community Mailbox
I think finding the WANT (not the need) is just the starting point, and the easier task.

I believe "the task of a great salesperson is to
(i) find a WANT,
(ii) match it with the salesperson's product, and
(iii) convince the client why she/ he should buy what the salesperson offers in the client's best interest, with the least delay.

In my view the most difficult part is (iii), which is where a salesperson's personal effectiveness plays the maximum part.

Tasks (i) and (ii) are more easily possible through training; task (iii) is less so. (I know there are many here who don't believe in the trainability of salespersons, prima facie.)

Ganesan. - by ezynes
Do you believe the test of a great sales person is to find a need?
I don't believe that is accurate.

The "test" is about bottom line results. Clearly, excellent results would have to come from the willingness and the ability to CONNECT with people who REALIZE their need as it would pertain to your solution.

The need issue is bilateral. The prospects must understand their need, and the salesperson should understand the prospects' need.

The idea of creating a need is, of course, pure folly, even though it has been perpetuated by many sales "trainers" who would be advised to not quit their day jobs. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.