Home > Closing > Advanced Commitment

Advanced Commitment

Please post your scripts(s) for: "Advanced Commitment." - by Jeff Blackwell
"If we could structure a deal that was acceptable to you, would you move ahead with the decision today?" - by Jeff Blackwell
If we find a home today that meets your preferrences will you be in a position to move ahead and write a contract immediately? - by AZBroker
If we have the car you're looking for what will you do? - by SalesCoach
When we are out looking at homes today, if we find the home of your dreams is there anything that would stop you from making an offer? - by AZBroker
After we've had a chance to go over your situtation and our service, if what I've said makes sense and you want the program, are you ready to move ahead with this? - by Agent Smith
If we're forunate enough today to find a (car, van, truck, etc.) that meets your needs and your budget will you be able to make a "yes" or "no" decision? - by BossMan
For the benefit of my support staff (i.t., tech, ect ), when can we expect to launch this new program/partnership? - by ginoayn
If I can get the manager to agree to a $500 price reduction will you buy the program today? - by Mikey
i dont like the if i could would you? approach. I like to bring the customer to our price not discount to reach theirs. For example- Mr. Customer obviously we believe the value of our product supports the asked for investment, how close to the obvious value are you willing to come? - by jmurray
If our initial estimate is within your budget will you be in a position to move ahead and give us a design fee that will be returned at time of purchase.
- by roblab
I do this after I ask the opening questions after asking permission to ask questions,

After questions I say now Mr. Jones, we have everything that we need to make an informed decision on how to provide you a product and service that we know you will love. I will have you show me all the areas and items to be painted and after you show me, I will measure at that time you can look through all my pictures of work we have completed and all of these written testimonial. When I'm done measuring I will sit you down and give you the price If you are happy at that time I will ask you to buy, fair enough?

Modify any of my responses to recharge me, I wont be offended if you say I'm nuts. - by Mr. Mike
I recommend that you drop the IF and change that to when. If gives the idea it cannot be done or might not get done. When we get this done are you ready to move forward. When I satisfy the prrice concern are you prepared to move forward. - by rich34232
"It seems like we have found the perfect vehicle for you Mr. Customer! Now you do have some time available, so we can wrap all this up now, right?" - by jrboyd
I recommend that you drop the IF and change that to when.

Thanks, I should never and try to always be careful of using words like if at the wrong time, I probably use the if on every visit at the wrong time like above. Thanks for pointing this out as well, because now when I don't sign on a one call I can ask myself if I said if or when. - by Mr. Mike
I recommend that you drop the IF and change that to when. If gives the idea it cannot be done or might not get done. When we get this done are you ready to move forward. When I satisfy the prrice concern are you prepared to move forward.
I can see pro's and con's to using when vs. if. I personally don't think it will make much of a difference in the process but by using when instead of if, it may be harder to do a fear of lose close later in the sell because you have inadvertantly comitted yourself to letting the customer set the price.

"Great news Mr. Client! We can get you this product for X amount! Were u looking at paying cash or check?"

"That amount is to high, I'm not happy with it, I want to pay Y amount"

Again I don't see it being a BIG issue but of the 100% of customers you will see, 10% will be easy 80% average and that last 10% will be the one that MAY give you trouble over it. - by jrboyd
Here is what I do not understand, most will question one word to make a difference when we know that it is process. Look past the one word and at the total porcess. You are correct one word does not make the difference however combine that one word with a couple more improvements and bingo you have a winner. When you use the word 'if" it becomes a negative what other negative words are you using with the process.Reading the threads in this topic the majority were giving money back or taking from thier overhead. Give money back and say the word if you, you have two negatives for the company.This leads me to believe there are more negatives with the process.
One comrpomise leads to two others.
It is the total process not one word , it is an enhancement to add to your process - by rich34232
If we are able to offer you the deal you are looking for, what would happen next?

Is there anything that would keep that from happening? - by jdedwa11
When I satisfy your concern is there anything else in your way of moving forward?
Mr Client other then that are there any concerns with my proposal. When we satisfy that we can move forward, sound good to you? - by rich34232
"If we could structure a deal that was acceptable to you, would you move ahead with the decision today?"
I my view, Jeff's example above is flawless. Here's why:
If... (Preferable to "when" because it keeps things in the present and is not prematurely assumptive.)

...we could structure a deal... (shows you are working on behalf of the prospect.)

...that was acceptable to you... (implies your regard for the prospect's needs, budget, and criteria. Selling is a matter of going from the general to the specific in search of mutual accord. Those five words are an example.)

...would you move ahead... (professionally worded, and it is the crux of "advance commitment.)

...with the decision today? (Brass tacks, professional, and to the point. Most important, it leaves open, in light of a negative response, the follow up question, "If not now, WHEN?" That is the place, if needed for the "when". Selling is conversation, and at this juncture, the whole point is to uncover the underlying reasons why a prospect might feel that they would not want to "move ahead" at this time--so that you can DEAL WITH THOSE ISSUES. Eliminate the obstacles--then close)

- by Ace Coldiron
If our initial estimate is within your budget will you be in a position to move ahead and give us a design fee that will be returned at time of purchase.
"Willing to" is much stronger than "in a position to.." - by Ace Coldiron
I my view, Jeff's example above is flawless. Here's why:
Thank you for the positive feedback Ace. thmbp2; - by Jeff Blackwell
Here is what I do not understand, most will question one word to make a difference when we know that it is process. Look past the one word and at the total porcess. You are correct one word does not make the difference however combine that one word with a couple more improvements and bingo you have a winner. When you use the word 'if" it becomes a negative what other negative words are you using with the process.Reading the threads in this topic the majority were giving money back or taking from thier overhead. Give money back and say the word if you, you have two negatives for the company.This leads me to believe there are more negatives with the process.
One comrpomise leads to two others.
It is the total process not one word , it is an enhancement to add to your process

The thing is, one word makes ALOT of difference. Which sounds like alot more money: Selling price of:Thirty five thousand, Five hundred and sixty eight dollars or Selling price of: thrity-five five six eight. The biggest difference between a decent sales consultant and an above average sales consultant is usually one or two words in how the present something. - by jrboyd
"The thing is, one word makes ALOT of difference. Which sounds like alot more money: Selling price of:Thirty five thousand, Five hundred and sixty eight dollars or Selling price of: thrity-five five six eight. The biggest difference between a decent sales consultant and an above average sales consultant is usually one or two words in how the present something."

As I have stated it is a series of words or process it is not just one word . Your example a min of three word difference.. Better then stating the numbers point to the numbers on your invoice ,contract or piece of paper saying "it is this." 35568.00
Combine what you say with body and facial expressions . A combination of your process. This is the what helps make a great sales technician .
A sale is not lost with one word it is a combination of failures the same with success. - by rich34232
I'n not too hot on these advanced commitment questions. If its at the start of the sale. what happens if you do the 'if I could would you' and the prospect says 'actually no'. Do you let her walk?

If its at the end of the sale and you're negotiating and you use the 'if I could would you' as you are passing negotiating control to the prospect (as mentioned by jmurray), unless you also seek a concesion from the prospect 'subject to you dropping the asking price for your part exchange to $5700, I may be able to upgrade the audio system to include the autochanger you said that you really want'. With my manager's approval would you go ahead on this basis' - by marky
Mr Prospect... I'm a big girl and I have been doing this for a long time. I can take a no, of course I would rather have a yes...so... after we have gone over your proposal and I have answered all your questions is there any reason you can't give me a yes or a no today? - by MPrince
...would you move ahead... (professionally worded, and it is the crux of "advance commitment.)

...with the decision today? (Brass tacks, professional, and to the point. Most important, it leaves open, in light of a negative response, the follow up question, "If not now, WHEN?" That is the place, if needed for the "when". Selling is conversation, and at this juncture, the whole point is to uncover the underlying reasons why a prospect might feel that they would not want to "move ahead" at this time--so that you can DEAL WITH THOSE ISSUES. Eliminate the obstacles--then close)
One can avoid this stall by asking for (1.) the implementation date, and (2.) the decision date early after the needs analysis. - by Alexander
Mr Prospect... I'm a big girl and I have been doing this for a long time. I can take a no, of course I would rather have a yes...so... after we have gone over your proposal and I have answered all your questions is there any reason you can't give me a yes or a no today?
"Yes, I'd like to shop around a little more." - by Alexander
"Yes, I'd like to shop around a little more."
That's very fair, and that helps me. My commitment to you is that after you've shopped around, I'll be the last one standing. I'm asking that you help me meet that promise by sharing what your criteria is. - by Ace Coldiron
One can avoid this stall by asking for (1.) the implementation date, and (2.) the decision date early after the needs analysis.
Which stall are you referring to? I read back on all the posts previous to yours, and I saw no mention of a stall.

If we're working out advance commitment strategy, which has an obvious objective to eliminate stalls, why should we observe a stall that isn't there? It's possible that I missed one as I was reading, and I'll stand corrected if I did. - by Ace Coldiron
That's very fair, and that helps me. My commitment to you is that after you've shopped around, I'll be the last one standing. I'm asking that you help me meet that promise by sharing what your criteria is.
That's okay. But being able to ask for the decision date before the commitment question is what I would prefer. Then it becomes a part of the buying criteria. Ad hoc, I'd ask something like this:

a) "How long have you been looking for [the solution]?"
b) "How will you know when it will be enough?"

Giving some thought to it, perhaps somebody will come up with a better strategy. - by Alexander
Which stall are you referring to?
I was referring to the possible "not now/not today"-answer to "...would you move ahead with the decision today?" - by Alexander
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.