Home > Management > Sales Cowboy vs. Sales Maverick

Sales Cowboy vs. Sales Maverick

I have encountered several sales cowboys (reckless or irresponsible) but few sales mavericks (independent in behavior or thought). As a sales manager are both to be avoided? - by Community Mailbox
I have encountered several sales cowboys (reckless or irresponsible) but few sales mavericks (independent in behavior or thought). As a sales manager are both to be avoided?
IMO it depends on what you are selling and in which geographic area you are selling. - by John Voris
I have encountered several sales cowboys (reckless or irresponsible) but few sales mavericks (independent in behavior or thought). As a sales manager are both to be avoided?
I've never heard of a sales maverick, however; as John mentioned above me it comes down to your product, your management style and what industry you generate your sales.

I don't mind a few 'mavericks' as long as they are hitting the sales number, customers are happy and the sales are made in a compliant manner. - by MrCharisma
"Sales Cowboys" usually refers to producers who have a tendency to overvalue their place in an organization. They are seldom team players, are usually peripatetic, and often rely on charm to get others to tolerate their errant behavior. Their presence often creates an imbalance in the sales force like an artificially created 80-20 situation (Pareto Principle). In extreme cases you'll find other employees covering for them until such time that resentment surfaces.

The tolerance of such individuals is usually symptomatic of weak management. Sales Cowboys are curable if treated early by managers who run a disciplined organization.

"Sales Mavericks" is a broad term and so I will not comment. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.