Home > Personal Selling > Sales and Selling - What's the difference?

Sales and Selling - What's the difference?

Sales (ex., sales is changing) and Selling (ex., everybody sells) are often used interchangeably. Is there a difference and does it matter? - by Community Mailbox
Sales (ex., sales is changing) and Selling (ex., everybody sells) are often used interchangeably. Is there a difference and does it matter?
I would say that there is no different other than that lent to them by the context in which they are used. - by thesalesgiant
I would say that there is no different other than that lent to them by the context in which they are used.

IMO, the word "sales" indicates the industry. The word "selling" is the application and performance of those procedures indicated by that industry.

I could say I am in "sales" as a static indicator.

Someone could ask, "what are you selling?" as an action indicator.

The agent said, generally speaking "sales" is down.

However, I am "selling" more than ever. (process)

You could also say, "my sales are up," indicating the static result of a process.

Functionally, no sales agent would be confused by the interchange. So, ultimately you are right--there is no difference in the vernacular of sales.

However from my reading, the Sales Training Industry has consistently used wrong syntax on their way to create the illusion they have something new. - by John Voris
Sales (ex., sales is changing) and Selling (ex., everybody sells) are often used interchangeably. Is there a difference and does it matter?
A friend once told me that there are approx. 285 different shades of the color red. Is there a difference and does it matter? I imagine it depends on who you ask.

I have also been told that members of an indigenous people inhabiting Alaska have more than a dozen different words for Snow. Is there a difference and does it matter? I imagine it depends on who you ask. - by Jeff Blackwell
A friend once told me that there are approx. 285 different shades of the color red. Is there a difference and does it matter? I imagine it depends on who you ask.

I have also been told that members of an indigenous people inhabiting Alaska have more than a dozen different words for Snow. Is there a difference and does it matter? I imagine it depends on who you ask.
Hey Jeff,

You're right.

Flipping between sales and selling is fine until knowing the difference begins to matter.

Shades of red may not matter unless your a painter.

Which word you use for snow, may not matter unless your an ice truck driver seeing slush in front of you.

A sales rep should know the difference between selling and sales. It will impact their bottom line.

Living in ideology distorts the humanity standing in front of you. - by John Voris
Living in ideology distorts the humanity standing in front of you.
I think that this is the right conclusion here. - by thesalesgiant
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.