Home > Closing > What is Your Belief about Closing?

What is Your Belief about Closing?

QUESTION: What is your belief about Closing? Do you believe it is:
  1. An event
  2. A closing question.
  3. A progression of consent
  4. A behavior used by the seller which implies or invites a commitment, so that the buyer's next statement accepts or denies commitment?
  5. None of the above
QUESTION: Can a sale close without behavioral participation by the salesperson (exclusive of the obvious "taking" of the order and/or processing of the order)? What is your belief? - by Gary A Boye
Excellent question!

This question causes us to explore: what is a closing process; what it is not; and what is necessary to close.

It seems in time we each develop a process that often appears to others as no process at all.

Many have made a sale talking about football, baseball, hiking and camping trips, football, dating, favorite restaurants and many other unrelated issues.

After receiving several "No's," I began talking to the prospect about French cooking recipes. When the discussion was over, I opened my order book and wrote down the largest order of the day. I followed NO SALES PROCESS.

So, my answer is "none of the above." For me, closing is a byproduct of communicated intent which lies beneath and separate from verbal and non-verbal language. - by John Voris

So, my answer is "none of the above." For me, closing is a byproduct of communicated intent which lies beneath and separate from verbal and non-verbal language.
Communicated intent on whose part? Can you clarify, John? - by Gary A Boye
Communicated intent on whose part? Can you clarify, John?
For me, when two people (sales rep and prospect) enter into an environment where a sale may occur, both become engaged in communicating their shifting "unsaid" intent, in sync with the flow of conversation.

When the "unsaid" has been efficiently communicated through verbal and body language to the satisfaction of both, the object becomes a sold "token" of that agreement if there was mutual assent to make the exchange.

This is not an event
There is no real closing question
It is not a linear progression of consent
Implied commitment is not necessary

I hope I didn't make it worse xerm; - by John Voris

I hope I didn't make it worse.
Not it all. The topic merely surveys what each person who replies believes. - by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.