Home > Jobs > How to get a sales job without previous experience?

How to get a sales job without previous experience?

I'm in my early 20's, and really want a job in sales.. What's the best way to land a job if i.e. company I wanna work for isn't hiring atm?
Beg on knees and ask to work for commision only?
Who should I contact in company with such proposal? Some senior sales manager, HR, owner, or...?
Any tips, and Do's and Dont's?

thanx - by LawAbidingCitizen
I'm in my early 20's, and really want a job in sales.. What's the best way to land a job if i.e. company I wanna work for isn't hiring atm?
Beg on knees and ask to work for commision only?
Who should I contact in company with such proposal? Some senior sales manager, HR, owner, or...?
Any tips, and Do's and Dont's?

thanx
If you land a job in selling, will you beg on your knees and ask for a sale? That would be a lousy way to work--just as lousy as approaching a prospective employer.

You are already in sales. You're prospecting to find an employer. You don't ask here who you should talk to in a company--you ask someone in the company. You'll find that person in each of the companies that are on your list of 100 companies to approach. You have made such a list, right? - by Gary A Boye
You say your target company is not hiring sales people ATM. I presume that means they have sales people.
Who are the best sales people in that company ?
Do you know them ? If not get to know them. hang around with them. Ask them how they sell.
If you hit it off and become friends with one ask them how they'd get a job selling.
If a job happened to come up they may drop your name or let you know about it early. If they liked you enough they might sell you to management.
Good luck. Selling for the right company is a great career. - by Greg Woodley
If you land a job in selling, will you beg on your knees and ask for a sale? That would be a lousy way to work--just as lousy as approaching a prospective employer.

You are already in sales. You're prospecting to find an employer. You don't ask here who you should talk to in a company--you ask someone in the company. You'll find that person in each of the companies that are on your list of 100 companies to approach. You have made such a list, right?
Wow Gary, 100 target companies, really?

I've been selling Enterprise software and services for 15 years, and I couldn't come up with a list of 100 companies in my field that I would want to contact. - by Leesk
Wow Gary, 100 target companies, really?

I've been selling Enterprise software and services for 15 years, and I couldn't come up with a list of 100 companies in my field that I would want to contact.
Welcome to the forums Leesk. I too could not come up with 100 companies in my field that I would want to contact... but that is more of a testament to my want and/or preparation than the reality of what is actually available... which I believe is a key element of Gary's message. - by Jeff Blackwell
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.