Home > Personal Selling > What does Upside spend to exposure mean?

What does Upside spend to exposure mean?

I'm running a sales contest/promotion for my account's direct sales channel. The sales contest will provide prizes after a 4 week period for reps with the most sales of my product AND the store that has the largest % of sales of my product over all stores.

I know my cost for this contest which is just the cost of the prizes.

I was asked "...what is the upside spend to our exposure".

What could this statement possibly mean? HELP!!!!! - by Thow1906
I'm running a sales contest/promotion for my account's direct sales channel. The sales contest will provide prizes after a 4 week period for reps with the most sales of my product AND the store that has the largest % of sales of my product over all stores.

I know my cost for this contest which is just the cost of the prizes.

I was asked "...what is the upside spend to our exposure".

What could this statement possibly mean? HELP!!!!!
I suspect it means that the person has compromised his/her ability to talk in plain language and communicate wisely--simply for the sake of pretending to be ahead of the game.

The true movers and shakers of the world always seek to be understood.

I'll point out that converting a verb to a noun is called "nominalization." One of the reasons people do that is to create substance when they are lacking it. - by Gary A Boye
How wonderful to hear a response that resolves the question without answering it, and how much more so when the question wasn't one that could be answered and yet need it to be resolved. - by thesalesgiant
Well, I guess your promotion is over now.
However the question is worth to answer to.
Upside spend means increase in costs (prizes, communication, etc.).

Exposure, ie. marketing exposure, means the number of people who can be said to have viewed or been affected by the undertaken marketing effort. (Definition after Wikipedia :). If it means end customer or number of business entities in your sales channel is a different story.

The good question is whether your promotion had this sort of parameter for performance monitoring. I doubt it, because results are easily verified by the sales volume increase and that was the main purpose of your activity. - by r.zaorski
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.