Home > Resistance > I lost a sale

I lost a sale

I meet that woman that wanted one of my service. I try to get to her many time. She alway's said she was interested. Finaly she talked to me to tell she was going out of business and din't have money... Anyway, I found out it was just a lie and went with the competition.
How devastaging. I don't mind a no, but a yes-no, grrrrr.
How to overcome those yes-no. Maybe something in my attitude is wrong. - by FrankB
I meet that woman that wanted one of my service. I try to get to her many time. She alway's said she was interested. Finaly she talked to me to tell she was going out of business and din't have money... Anyway, I found out it was just a lie and went with the competition.
How devastaging. I don't mind a no, but a yes-no, grrrrr.
How to overcome those yes-no. Maybe something in my attitude is wrong.

Whenever we meet any prospect, we are faced with a living history.

Sales techniques and formulas contribute only a small percentage of what's causing or losing the sale.

Some people just can't say "NO."

People who are treated badly by the boss, like the attention of a sales rep but don't have the money.

Then there are women who find you attractive, interesting or just want someone to talk to but they have no discretionary funds.

Attractive women have the same issues with men.

There are business owners who have a private partner who must be consulted. Your prospect say "yes" but the partner says "No."

There are many other factors but the point is--don't beat yourself up.

In my experience, this type of behavior indicates reasons not to buy that are far beyond a reaction to your personality or behavior.

Every prospect carries a private world in their mind and you are never allowed inside.

If this happens again where you spend several sessions leaving with only a promise--just drop that person. There are far too many people who will buy.

I hope that helps. - by John Voris
Thanks I din't see it that way first. - by FrankB
Great advice from John, "life is too short" to worry about stuff like that.

You could spend a lifetime trying to figure out people but that's the job of a psychologist. You are a sales person. So, forget it and go out and find your next customer.

And concentrate on listening more, offering value/service and being a better sales person. - by Greg Woodley
Maybe something in my attitude is wrong.
Attitude is usually founded on an unspoken belief.

Challenge what you believe about yourself that would make you feel you are doing something wrong when another person is not telling the truth.

Resistance, rejection, and indifference towards the propositions that we professionals encounter are merely substances we work with while making positive things happen. - by Gary A Boye
I will ask a queston ; How often does this happen?

If rare accept the advice given it is rock solid

If a lot look inward - by rich34232
Great advice from John, "life is too short" to worry about stuff like that.

You could spend a lifetime trying to figure out people but that's the job of a psychologist. You are a sales person. So, forget it and go out and find your next customer.

And concentrate on listening more, offering value/service and being a better sales person.
But if you don't figure out why people do things you will lose more. I would say go on with getting next client but still try to figure out why that did not work. - by SEOmarketing
But if you don't figure out why people do things you will lose more. I would say go on with getting next client but still try to figure out why that did not work.
SEO

I'm afraid I disagree.

First, if you cannot discover your answer through acceptable social protocol, what is left? Probing too much creates unneeded tension, with the prospect finding the sales agent very intrusive and even obnoxious. Sales is tough enough without this type of reputation building.

Second, her reason for not following through could be:

...she has a crush on him and was waiting for the right moment.
...she likes the attention and never planned to buy anything.
...her boyfriend's brother sells the same commodity but she
hates him and couldn't decide what to do.
...she wants everyone happy and has a difficult time
disappointing others.

You see, the list is really endless and pointless to pursue.

Third, their reason for not following through could be very irrational. In that case, a rational agent will not be able to discover the reason through any logical format.

Fourth, even if it was possible, finding the reason for this one person not buying has very little to do with your next prospect. What if the competitor was her boyfriends brother? You can't take that information to the next prospect.

So, moving on is the best move unless this pattern becomes a habit. Then the agent needs to explore his approach but still not the prospect's reaction. - by John Voris
I think it is a great idea to follow up and ask why they chose to go with someone else instead of you. Don't do it as a game - just be very straightforward about it. It is very valuable information that might affect your approach in the future. I ask every time I lose a sale. My most recent one was "The owner has a friend overseas that he already trusts to do the work". That tells me I did everything possible with my contact (who wanted me to do the work). She was not the final decision maker.

A simple "I'm glad to see that you found a solution that you were looking for. I'm not trying to sell you anything now, but can you give me a quick reason why you chose that option over mine? That will help me in the future"

If you get no answer then you are no better or worse off than you were before. But any answer:

"Your price was too high"
"You product does not do x y and z and those were our requirements"
"You took too long to call me back 3 months ago"
"You put too much pressure on us"

All of these are great for you to know. If you track these reasons in your CRM database (as I do, in a field called "Reason for Deal Lost" ) you will eventually have good measurements as to why you lose deals most of the time. - by JustAskPatrick
“It’s important to make an effort to learn the reason(s) a sale did not materialize.”
--From Path to Greatness™ training. - by Gary A Boye
“It’s important to make an effort to learn the reason(s) a sale did not materialize.”
--From Path to Greatness training.

Hey Gary,

I agree, I often asked why someone didn't buy if the moment was appropriate.

However, I was responding to this particular situation. If someone repeatedly drags me through the coals, I eventually learned to drop them.

Whenever I did go back to this particular type of prospect to search for a reason, I just got another lie. So, it didn't take long before I learned to use my time more effectively.

Another point: those who do not buy often create an itch the agent needs to scratch. A seasoned sales rep knows how to handle the situation and probe for an answer, whereas a newbe may not realize that a true answer is not forthcoming and wastes time.

When someone is repeatedly dishonest, as in this example, I really don't care why they were dishonest and question if I want them as a client.

So, periodically check to see why prospects didn't buy for your own personal education--of course.

However, FrankB's situation should not appear so often that it needs probing.

And, you know you may never learn the real reason but you will know how much time you wasted in hoping to find it. There are too many fish in the sea. - by John Voris
This turns out to be a very interesting conversation for me personally. What is so interesting?

So far, I knew what was happening on the 'other side' - from the consumers' point of view. Now I see things from the point of view of a sales person. So very different! - by SEOmarketing
Whenever i loose a sale where all appeared to be going well i always look inside first:

1. Did i cut any corners
2. Did i put too much pressure on at the wrong time
3. Did i jump to too many conclusions because they were saying what sounded good to me causing me to get sloppy

If it happens a lot then you really need to look deeply at your sales process, if it happens now and then then thats just sales, no big deal, move on to the next one. - by Tony Dunne
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.