Home > Management > Tools to Formalize Call Reporting

Tools to Formalize Call Reporting

My employer has an outside sales force which calls primarily upon existing customers, managing the relationship, presenting monthly specials, and understanding how we can add value to the business relationship.

Currently we have a free-form narrative we receive from the salespeople on their meetings with the customers. Management would like a more simple series of questions answered. Was deal A presented? What was the result? Was the monthly push presented? What was the feedback? Maybe 5 questions like this, followed by a free-form section with a limit number of characters.

Management would like to view the aggregated report data, perhaps drilling down to specifics later on, with the ability to contrast sales territories, deal uptake, etc.

Has anyone come across a software tool which would help accomplish this task? We could start as simple as a text template to fill out, but we're deploying tablet computers to the force and would like to see them fill out a call report with a few taps right after meeting with the contact and submitting it while the information is fresh. - by jwhite.pfw
Hi,
may I remind you of the old KISS = Keep it Simple (for the Stupid)
Not to say that any of your people are stupid but simple systems work better.

Back in my previous job I used to do monthly reports for a big US company (I am based in Australia) and I co-ordinated the Australian business for that company in the USA.

I had to get input from 12 reps and put it in the format required.

I copied the format and turned it into a table in Microsoft Word then when I got the reps reports via email I just cut and pasted the relevant columns.

If you want to be able to tick boxes or have yes / no columns I am sure that sort of thing is possible in Microsoft Excel or Apple's Numbers.

You save on the expense of software. Your people on the road can understand it. You can fix and modify it in house.

In fact, you could host the file "in the Cloud" so that when your reps type in their info it's instantly available to anyone you want in your company. I use a service called "Dropbox" which is free to host up to 2GB of data. It's easy to set up access from a bunch of computers.

Apple are about to release their new Cloud servie and if the tablets you are giving your people are iPads it should be easy to set up.

Not sure if this is what you originally were looking for but I think it could work. - by Greg Woodley
Hi,
I had to get input from 12 reps and put it in the format required.

I copied the format and turned it into a table in Microsoft Word then when I got the reps reports via email I just cut and pasted the relevant columns.

If you want to be able to tick boxes or have yes / no columns I am sure that sort of thing is possible in Microsoft Excel or Apple's Numbers.

You save on the expense of software. Your people on the road can understand it. You can fix and modify it in house.
could work.
Right, I'd like eliminate the process of cut/paste from the rep's report into the entry form that I'm looking for. In addition, the end user (Sales Manager, General Manager, Owner) don't care about the detail level of the reports. They want to see the statistical overview (for example, deal capture % by sales territory) not the detail, though they'd like to see that in the future (deal capture for Customer Alpha on vendor J vs. the other customers in the sales territory, vs. the entire customer base, vs. vendor K's deals, etc).

I'm just looking to capture the details in a standard format that's easy for the individual rep to use (and cuts down on the narrative details that the principles don't care about). - by jwhite.pfw
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.