Home > Resistance > Thrown a curve ball!

Thrown a curve ball!

How would you reply to this situation:

How you would handle a sales presentation in which the client is interested in another product that you are unprepared to present, but yet you know the product you agreed to originally discuss will be good for his/her's business as well. - by timkay2
How would you reply to this situation:

How you would handle a sales presentation in which the client is interested in another product that you are unprepared to present, but yet you know the product you agreed to originally discuss will be good for his/her's business as well.
Please clarify "unprepared to present."

Does that mean it is not a product your company offers? - by Gary A Boye
Sorry for not clarifying. I represent multiple product lines and a meeting was set up after clarifying the clients needs. At the start of the meeting, the client indicated he knew I was there to discuss one product, but wanted me to discuss another product instead. My presentation was suited for the original product and I'm curious as to what other sales reps would do. - by timkay2
Sorry for not clarifying. I represent multiple product lines and a meeting was set up after clarifying the clients needs. At the start of the meeting, the client indicated he knew I was there to discuss one product, but wanted me to discuss another product instead. My presentation was suited for the original product and I'm curious as to what other sales reps would do.
I don't share your curiosity as to what other reps would do. I CAN tell you two ways to LOSE the sales opportunity.

The first way is to stay committed to presenting what YOU want to present.

The second way is to fake your preparedness on the other product.

This situation is not a curve ball--it's a rare opportunity. The client is revealing what he/she WANTS. I would probe the client's questions about the product. I would write them down. I would then explain that there might be some new information on the product that I don't have available at the moment. I would then get a commitment for a follow up appointment. And I would return PREPARED. - by Gary A Boye
There are a few steps you can take to solve this problem immediately.

1. As you are probably already know: preparation is PARAMOUNT to your sales success. This is a great opportunity for you to gather more knowledge about the benefits of your other products. This way you won't encounter this again.

2. What problem is your customer trying to solve? He/she must have one if they sat down for a meeting with you.

3. In the future, if you are unprepared for the meeting...spend most of your time talking about their problem and the effect it is having on them. Mention to them that you have the PERFECT solution for them and leave them begging to hear more. As mentioned already, get a commitment for a follow up and deliver during the next meeting. - by SalesResultsNow
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.