Home > Cold Calling > Better my cold calling script (help)

Better my cold calling script (help)

Hello everyone!

Was just googling help on cold calling, when I came across this forum. A very neat initiative, I must say!

I have just started using cold calling to sell insurance. To be precise, Life Insurance.

I am from India, and I do my cold calling in English. Not many people are too well versed in English so as to understand complicated words. So I try to keep my script simple.

I am attaching my cold calling script:

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening! My name is <name> calling on behalf of <Insurance Company Name>. Am I talking to <customer name>?

Mr/Ms <customer name>. Briefly, the reason I am calling is because I wanted to talk to you about some products that we have at <Insurance Company Name> that offer good investment opportunity & security for you & your family.

Would this be a good time to talk to you for a few moments regarding the same?
This is the opening of my cold calling script.

The 2 major issues I face are as follows:

1. The callee says he is not interested.
2. The callee says he already has life insurance.

I would need help as to what would be a good response to each of the above mentioned objections.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks. - by theacolyte
I don't detect anything inherently wrong with the script.

You could improve it by removing "I wanted..". Variations of "I want.." are often not well received. (It's always about what the prospect WANTS in selling.)

One of the most effective techniques in cold calling--one that Twice as Good as 2ND Best (our sales course) teaches, is the following words:
"I'm calling for a couple of reasons.."
It's a common tendency for prospects not to dismiss you early because the seed of a second reason tweaks their curiosity--sometimes unconsciously.

Now what happens if we cover the "objection" (already have insurance) BEFORE it arises out of the prospects mouth by using this technique?
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening! My name is <name> calling on behalf of <Insurance Company Name>. Am I talking to <customer name>?

Mr/Ms <customer name>. Actually, I'm calling for a couple of reasons. The first is to make sure that you and your family are presently covered with regard to investments and security. You are, I assume, aren't you?

Prospect: Yes, we are fully covered.

That's good news. The second reason for calling is that my company is currently offering some products specifically designed to improve your situation in that regard.

Would this be a good time to talk to you for a few moments regarding these improvements--or can we set aside a more convenient time?

NOTE: I've been asked why the word "actually" is inserted. The answer is that it's conversational. It's a finesse that promotes dialogue rather than monologue. Anything that will foster conversation will help you with a prospect.

So now you have three questions in your script rather than two. They address: 1) Talking to right person. 2) Current situation 3) Good time to talk.

Finally, in your experience the prospects are using Current Situation as a tool to dismiss you. (Already has insurance). With the new script you are using the Current Situation as something to build on.
- by Gary A Boye
Weekly Updates!
Questions and Answers about Selling
Subscribe to our mailing list to get threads and posts sent to your email address weekly - Free of Charge.